Bad Guy Robert Sloan - really bad guy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
paulweaver
Robert Sloan - really bad guy

I've been in the herp business for over 10 years now and I am kicking myself for not doing my research here on the BOI before cutting a deal with Robert Sloan.

I came across Sloan on Facebook as he is friends with several of my Drymarchon (Indigo) friends there. I saw that he keeps Texas Indigos so I messaged him about getting some. He responded that he has a large collection of Texas Indigos that he collected before the Texas ban went into effect. He claimed that he has a permit to breed and sell these animals legally. We talked a bit and I decided to buy a 2.3 group for $2K. I put down a 50% deposit, sent my USPS Money Order, with the rest to be paid when the animals hatch in mid June. I had asked for pictures of his breeders, but didn't received any pics.

Last week he messaged me that he'd have another 0.2 available if I wanted them for another $1K, so I agreed. He said that I could either put down an additional deposit now or wait until they were ready. I said I'd wait. The next day he messaged me on FB and asked for another $500 now and another $500 in a week, and the remaining $1K when the animals were ready. That's when the warning signals finally went off and I came to the BOI to look for his name.

After realizing that I was in the middle of a scam I messaged him on FB asking again for pictures of the adults and his breeding facility. He told me that he was still traveling and didn't have any with him (which is what he told me before). So I gave him a call and asked when he could get me some pictures of the adults and his clutches of eggs. He said it'd be early June before he was back home, where his computer is at with the pictures. He then asked if I had my next $500 ready to send. I told him that it'd probably be next week before I could get it to him. I said that because I wanted to see how he'd react, but we ended the call on a friendly note. About half an hour later I received another FB message that I was faltering on our deal by not sending the next $500 installment this week. I knew at this point that the snakes didn't even exist, except maybe in his own mind. Our FB conversation went from courteous to outright nasty. He then explained that some colleagues were watching over the snakes, which have now almost all hatched (even though earlier they weren't going to be ready until mid June. Surprised! They have all hatched now!! ). I asked for the colleagues to take some pics of the eggs/hatchlings. He said that he wouldn't have email access and couldn't forward them to me. I asked for them to email the pics directly to me. Of course that offer was also turned down. He mentioned several times that deposits would not be refunded and since I'm backing out of the deal I'd lose my deposit. It was bad enough being scammed once however, I don't need to send more money down the tube.

It's a shame that some people live their lives doing crap like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Robert SloanRobert SloanMay 2nd, 3:15pmPaul
Hi Robert, I noticed on the East Coast Drymarchon page that you commented that you hatch about 60 Texas Indigos each year. You mentioned 'new blood'. I was wondering what bloodlines you have there. I'm always looking for new lines...
May 3rd, 3:30pm
They accepted your request.
Robert
I have bloodlines from numerous locales and currently have a colony of 42 adults. I do not breed all of them every year, but turn out a good number. Most of what I hatch goes to Germany. Let me know if you want any as a lot are spoken for with deposits already. Thanxz
Paul
Hi Robert, thanks for getting back to me. So are your bloodlines related to other bloodlines across the U.S.? I have some from Fuller, Meade, Allessindrini, etc. I'm looking for something unrelated to the captive stocks that most people have to get some diversity. What do you ask for hatchlings? And do you have any photos that you can share?
Robert
My stock was wild collected by me prior to Texas protecting them. I have letters of permission documenting this. My bloodlines are not related to any others in captivity as most others are from captive bred stock.
I get $1000 for a sexed pair feeding on f/t mice. I'm currently traveling now so no access to my photos
Paul
Yes, I'm definitely interested in getting some! Do you need a deposit or anything? Please send me some pics whenever you are able to, would really like to see what some of the different locales look like. Would you be able to do a group of like 2.4 if you have enough females?
Robert
I can but I do deposits and usually all are gone by now. I have enough not taken to do only 2.3 unless you want more males. If you did .23 I'd do 2K on those instead of 2500, but i'm getting asked daily so I may not have any left by the time I get to my computer at home. I'll be in Dallas another 2-4 weeks. I only have one photo I can access here. Let me know and thanxz. The deposit would be 1K and I can ship in early July.
Robert
Paul
If you can do a 2.3 for only 2K I'll go ahead and commit. How can I send you a deposit, paypal?
If you can just give me as much genetic variation as possible that would be great
Robert
I can give you all five from different parents
Paul
awesome!
Robert
I only accept USPS money orders now. This protects me from having to worry about paypal and it protects buyers from mail fraud if they do not get what they paid for. Let me know and thanxz much
also USPS money orders cabn be cashed free at any post office and I'm not near my local bank
Paul
ok, that's fine. Just tell me where to send it and I'll send it out tomorrow!
Robert
Robert Sloan - 11807 Jamestown Road - Dallas, Texas 75230
Thanxz much i'll mark these five of my sale list.
Paul
ok, thanks! I'll get it out tomorrow
Really glad you'll have some! Been looking for some new genetics to add to mine. I have 30 eggs incubating this year, but they are all from long established captive lines and I'd like some new blood 🙂
If you do end up with an extra female to make it 2.4 I will take it off your hands as well 🙂
Robert
Do you have any cribos for trade?
Paul
I only have texans and one unicolor/brown tail that I picked up in a trade
I bought it as a unicolor, but since then I've found out that most Unis are related to black tails, just depending on locale. It's a female though. Just don't have a mate for it. About 2-3 years old
Robert
I just traded a guy a sexed pair of Texans for a 4' female BT cribo and some cash and it died witihn three weeks of me getting her
Paul
oh geez!
I've had this one for a couple of months...no problems whatsoever. Eats great
Robert
This one pooped and it was bad and smelly, ate, puked, pooped again, then died....I did have the vet run fecals, but got the results too late.
Paul
What did the vet say was wrong with it? Was it a WC?
Robert
No it had some virus and baytril would've cleared it had it been caught before I got it, but too far gone by the time it arrived. Nice snake though had she made it and I had already bought/committed to a male for her
Now I got a male coming and no female
Paul
Do you want me to send pics of my female? She's pretty nice
Robert
is it pure BT?
Paul
I have no idea! The guy I bought it from said it was a Uni. But then I was talking to Alan B on Facebook, and he said he's only seen 5 true Unis since he got into the business, so he thinks it's a brown tail (ie. black tail with a lighter tail). I don't know who bred it though, but it may have been Michaels
Robert
really looking for neos but thanxz
I'll think about it send pics
Paul
ok. I'll send some later this evening
Robert
looking forward to it thanxz
May 3rd, 7:04pm
Paul
Here she is. Let me know if you're interested. No problem if you're not 🙂
May 4th, 1:19pm
Robert
Right now I got too much going on with hatching etc.,..but when we do the final deal and I'm ready to ship - we will discuss it again. Let me know when you send payment so I can be looking for it and thanxz....I'll also throw in an extra male or two you could sell if you want them.
Paul
Ok sounds good. I sent the money order out this morning so you should see it early next week. Thanks!!
Robert
Much appreciated - I'll keep you posted and again thanxz
Paul
Ok, thank you
Thu 10:31am
Robert
Just want to let you know I got payment. I also had two people back out on the sexed pair of indigos, so I have 2 extra females if you want any. Also, I'm always high on males and typically give extras away. If you'd take 1 or 2 extra males FREE, I'll send them. Maybe you could make some of your money back. I also think my price on Texas indigos is lower than most in the lower 48. Again, thanxz
Paul
If I picked up extra females, would they be unrelated to the other group I'm getting?
And I'll always take free males! 🙂
Thu 3:19pm
Robert
I only bred 10 of my fems this year so all fems you'd get will be unrelated to all of the males
Paul
Ok. So just that I have this right, I'd change my order from 2.3 ($2000) to 2.5 ($3000 ?), and your be able to toss in an extra male or two? Would you also be able to provide the locality info for them, and maybe some pics of the parents? (Not now necessarily, just in general)
Robert
I can give you type locale info on each specimen and pics of the parents. All of mine are typically jet black bt the end of their first year. I can toss in at least 2 males and more if I have them and you want them. I usually give extra males away to schools, ED groups and zoos if they'll take them. I also release some every year even though TP&W says not to.
Paul
Ok, I'll definitely do that then! So all 4.5 or so would all be totally unrelated? Do the different breeders typically have varying throat colors? Some of mine are orange, some bright yellow.
Robert
I have them from seven locales and they always turn almost jet black. All nine will be unrelated - yes
Paul
Every year I get a couple of babies that are mostly black. A couple people have told me that's because someone crossed my breeders parents with an Eastern at some point. But you do see Texans there that are mostly black then?
Robert
Of course I sell or trade most offspring so i never see them again as adults, but the 2-4 I keep every other year turn black
Paul
Interesting!
Robert
I have a 9' female living under my house in Del Rio. I used to take the feral kittens away from her if she caught one to eat and she is jet black as far as her face and dorsal. Her belly is lighter
Paul
So will you need an additional deposit or is what I sent enough for now? Also, since you're being so generous throwing in the males, etc you can have that uni/brown tail if you want her
Robert
I'll take better pics as soon as I get back to Del Rio so you can see. I also try to keep the ones that are black because I do not keep nor do I want easterns for the exact reason you mentioned
Paul
Gotcha
Robert
Your deposit is fine until about mid June unless you want to break up the final payment - up to you
Paul
Ok, I'll just let it stand for now. Thanks so much for the extra females, etc
Robert
I'm holding off for now on any new snakes but thanxz
Paul
Ok
I understand, can get out of control with so many mouths to feed 🙂
Robert
Our collection totals over 500 specimens -
Also mine eat mice right out of the egg - most even before they shed!
Paul
Holy cow, that's a lot of snakes!
Robert
...and lizards and gilas but mostly Crotalus and I have 2 partners so three of us. I just sent 200 alterna to Germany!
Paul
Wow!!
Fri 11:29amRobert
I ran into an issue with the money order - NOT your fault. USPS changed their policy and although they still cash them free - I ended up having to pay $35 at a check cashing place cause none of the 7 Dallas post offices had that much cash. So, if possible can you send another $500 early next week then another $500 in 2 weeks? That way it is spread out. I should have my new bank account by the time I'm ready to ship mid to late June. Let me know and thanxz much
Paul
Yep that's fine, np
Robert
Just let me know when you send it.
Paul
Ok, will do. Same address?
Robert
My 7 locales are Harligen, McAllen, Laredo, Del Rio x2 - San Felipe Creek and Gulick Ranch, Uvalde and Pecos river @ Rio Grande
YES same address. My phone is 830-734-4058
I also have indies from Freer and Hebbronville, but some are related
Paul
Ok. I may do some cross-locale anyway, so those might be ok too
Robert
just let me know what locales you want
Paul
Ok. Can I wait until you have time to send some pics of the adults? Might be easier to select the locales then.
8:45amPaul
Hi Robert, can you send some of the pics of your adults when you get time. I'd also like to see a picture of your facility 🙂
1:41pmRobert
I'
m traveling right now so not near my computer. As soon as I get there i'll send them. Let me know when you send the next payment so I can be looking for it and thanxz
3:15pmRobert
I get a lot of what I call tire kickers because of the vast rare reptiles I keep, breed and sell. I also get a lot of deposits that later the order gets cancelled and I'm stuck trying to sell out. I usually cut off deposits by May because I breed based on these deposits to try to avoid having too many leftovers. Last Friday you ask me if I needed any additional deposit once we went to 4.5. I had not been able to cash the money order and you agreed to send two payments to break it up. now you cannot send untill next week and i'll be in Del Rio with no mail and no internet. When I get this back and forth - it usually tells me someone is changing their mind on the order. That leaves me stuck in this case with 4.5 I'll have to go sell elsewhere. If you cannot send it this week, just hold on to it until I get back to the RGV, but at that time I will need full payment of $2,000 as these will be ready by mid June and I will need to go get them before you arrive to pick them up. also, I have documents, but you crossing the Texas border with pre act protected snakes might be an issue for you. Let me know cause I cut out 4.5 for you and do not need to stuck with them. Thanxz
Paul
Hi Robert....so here's the thing....I came across your name on FB because we have some of the same friends here that are into Drymarchon. I'm was really excited to pick up some new Texas genetics. When I said that I'd take the 2 extra females you offered, you at first said that it was optional if I send an additional deposit, but then the next day asked for 2 additional payments of $500. That got me poking around a little bit on faunaclassifieds as well as talking to a couple of FB friends as well. Everything that I've read today has led me to believe that I've just lost $1000. I still wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt, that's why I asked to see pictures of the adults, your facility, as well as the eggs that you have incubating because I don't want to get involved with anything that is WC. I figured that if I offered to pick the animals up in person and pay for them you'd either be totally willing to do so, or else ask me to send more money. Again, all that I am looking for is proof that you really keep the animals that you have suggested, as well as photos of the eggs that are about to hatch.
5:26pm
Robert
This is the issue I have every year - people order, send a deposit and then try to change the agreement of our deal to suit whatever it is they want. I will not do that because I do not have time. I am in Dallas not near my home in Del Rio or the RGV. I have over 500 reptiles and two other partners in this collection. I have placed my reptiles with my two other partners until I get settled in the RGV and my rattlesnakes with another collector on breeding loan. Our deal was 2.3 @ $2000 which is well below market on these. I was to ship as soon as they were ready. Almost all have now hatched according to my partner that has them. You can pay how ever you want to pay, but our deal was for 4.5 @ 3K. I just thought it would be easier to break up the additional balance into smaller payments - for you not for me. You can decide what it is you want to do and let me know but I'm not jumping through any hoops for this or any other deal. I will ship Delta or you may come get them, but I will have to go t pick them up and it costs money that will cut into the already low price I have given you, so I will not do anything further. I also do not refund deposits as I've turned others down who wanted to make the purchases from me. Let me know and thanxz
Paul
Surely your partner must have a smart phone then and can take some pictures. All that I'm looking for is some proof they exist. Also, you had told me before that they would hatch mid-to-late June, but now they have all hatched? Someone there must have a camera and can take some pictures....
Paul
You already have $1000 towards these snakes. You should AT LEAST be able to send a 1.1 pair if they have already hatched, just to show good faith
and if you come thru with those, I'll gladly get the rest too
Robert
They are available because two buyers backed out of a large deal. They have not all hatched but most. Since I do not have them in hand - I do not see day to day. Our deal was originally 2.3 @ 2k. I will not ship part of a deal but understand if you do not want the others offered. Up to you
Paul
If *ANY* have hatched, whoever is watching over them should be able to provide some pics
Robert
You did not ask for this many pics when we made our deal and I'm leaving for Del Rio soon. Since I have closed down my property there - I have no net access. My phone does not do pics, but I will ask for some. All I can do at this point. Most likely will not have pics until I return to the RGV the end of the first week of June.
Paul
What about the guys that are watching the eggs/snakes?
Robert
I will ask for pics but they will likely email them to me and I will not be at a computer until I return home.
Paul
Give them my email: carolinaherps@gmail.com
Robert
Not going to do that - I do not give out names of anyone I work or deal with
Paul
You know, I really don't like being scammed
Robert
I've already sent a request to them for pics and if I get them here - I'll send them
Paul
ok, thanks
Robert
Neither do I
Paul
You have the money. I have nothing
Robert
We made a deal. I always honor my deals - you are trying to change it. Not going to happen - decide what you want to do and let me know but it is 2.3 @ 2K or nothing at this point
Paul
I'm not sending more good money after bad without proof that said animals even exist. If/when you have pics of the animals ready to go then I'll send money. At this point though, I don't believe they exist
I have read enough on fauna this morning to see that this is normal operations for you. Sad
I'm sorry that I didn't do my homework. All that I have left is to file a complaint with the USPS and post on fauna
Robert
2.3 will be ready to ship via Delta Air by June 15, 2017. If payment in full including $90 for shipping is not received by 06/15/17 - your order will be offered for sale and your deposit will be forfeited.
Paul
Like I said, if you really had any of these animals you should be able to send a 1.1 pair to prove it
Robert
So we are done?
Paul
Except for the wire fraud complain I guess so
Unless you can come up with proof of these snakes
Robert
No fraud will hold up - several have tried. You put up a deposit and refused the order in writing. You will now be blocked unless you confirm oyur deal here at this time
Paul
I'm not refusing it. I'm waiting on 1.1 of them. I paid for 2 animals
I can send you a reptileExpress shipping label
Robert
No - you ordered 2.3 @ $2000 and sent a deposit.
Paul
Fine. Send me proof that they exist
Robert
You know what go fuck yourself loser

Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulweaver View Post
I am kicking myself for not doing my research here on the BOI before cutting a deal with Robert Sloan.
"BOI 1st, Buy/Sell 2nd"
Just like the Geico saying, 15 minutes on the BOI could have made all the difference. Sorry to hear, but not surprised.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Bobby Douglass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
"BOI 1st, Buy/Sell 2nd"
Just like the Geico saying, 15 minutes on the BOI could have made all the difference. Sorry to hear, but not surprised.
I agree with Robert. I don't think very many people would deal with Mr. Sloan if they researched him first.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
DavidBeard
You couldn't have picked a worse person to do business with, Sloan is one of the biggest dirtbags in the hobby bar none.

Hopefully you don't get dinged for the profanity above either.....you should know better on both accounts.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #5
paulweaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBeard View Post
You couldn't have picked a worse person to do business with, Sloan is one of the biggest dirtbags in the hobby bar none.

Hopefully you don't get dinged for the profanity above either.....you should know better on both accounts.
Oops...yes, hopefully not, especially since I wasn't even the one who said it

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #6
PLynch
Robert Sloan=thief,crook,scammer, & grifter. Check out his other alias: Robert Faegre,Michael Duckworth, True Flight Taxidermy, & Snake boy. This POS has been scamming people for over 15 years. In his next message he will be telling everyone how educated he is and his dergree in criminal justice. The only criminal justice he has is his time spent in the slammer. Isn't that right skell boy I mean snake boy. Oh by the way Bob my $2000.00 USPS Money Order is in the mail.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
evansnakes
I am sorry that this happened. I was hoping that if I could keep the threads about him going on fauna and facebook long enough it would at least keep other people from getting ripped off bu him. As I have said, he has a life long record of criminal activity. There is no reason to ever believe that he is will change.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
AndyUltimateReptiles
He has posted numerous state illegal species for sale on FB. Texas torts, Texas indigos, etc. forward all your screen shots to operation game thief through the Texas parks and wildlifes website.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #9
paulweaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyUltimateReptiles View Post
He has posted numerous state illegal species for sale on FB. Texas torts, Texas indigos, etc. forward all your screen shots to operation game thief through the Texas parks and wildlifes website.
I tried calling them today to see if he actually had the permit he was referring to but couldn't get a real person on the phone.

I'm not sure there's much they can do anyways. I don't think he really has any of those snakes since I couldn't get a single picture from him. It's just all a lie.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #10
nickolasanastasiou
Keep trying to get through to them.

I am sorry you are going through this. It is always baseless excuse after baseless excuse in his threads. He said he could not ship due to high temps in his area for one transaction. Shown to be a lie. Then switches arguments and tries to say he could not ship due to low temps at the destination. Does not own up to or address the first matter. Then he starts going on and on about his own pseudo-expertise that comes across like the old time charlatans who used to try to label themselves as world record holders in meaningless feats (crap akin to picking up the most snakes on a particular highway between two calendar dates while standing on one leg and chewing a specific brand of bubble gum), claims of income that seem to be lies, dubious educational achievement claims that are not given much credibility by the quality of his typing or his arguments, and other such nonsense that has nothing to do with the disputes at hand whenever he engages.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!