Bert Langerwerf has succumbed in his battle with Cancer - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Brian - LCRC
Bert Langerwerf has succumbed in his battle with Cancer

Leeway Corucia Research Center (LCRC)

I just got word that Mr. Bert Langerwerf has passed away . according to the message, He died prior to Monday afternoon when his son Timo made the announcement

Mr Bert was one of those early pioneers who didn't have a degree in biology or herpetology ( I'm told he was once a physics professor) but as with Ron Dupont, acquired vast knowledge through years of experience. He discovered aspects of lizards decades ago when reptile knowledge was in the dark ages and most reptile people were still walking on their knuckles. He contributed much knowledge through lectures, books, and articles. He has worked with scientists and researchers.

Indeed, he was considered the world's leading authority on Tegus and contributed vast knowledge all aspects of them including, breeding, feeding, brumation, etc.

Bert Langerwerf operated Agama International which bred and sold reptiles

His specialty was with Tegus and Lacertas.

Bert Langerwerf was 10 years old when he first became interested in lizards. He found a small lizard in a ditch by his home in the Netherlands and was immediately fascinated by the creature.

The following is by Nick Thomas:

----> "Bert Langerwerf was 10 years old when he first became interested in lizards. He found a small lizard in a ditch by his home in the Netherlands and was immediately fascinated by the creature.
That was 50 years ago. Mr. Langerwerf spent the rest of his life in America and loved lizards to the end.

In 1988, Langerwerf and his wife Hester, settled in Alabama because the warm climate was ideal for raising many types of lizards. "The weather in Holland was not good to raise reptiles," he says. "It was too cold and wet." " <-----

Bert Langerwerf was very resourceful, thrifty and enterprising. His outdoor enclosures, recycling methods, and prey raising techniques were models of efficiency.

I personally got to know him only at the very end.When had conversed on the internet concerning Corucia phenotypes and the two subspecies of Corucia. It was hoped and planned to collaborate on a join research project but alas, it was not to be.

He shall be missed.

Sincerely,
Brian
LCRC

Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
TheFragginDragon
What sad news..... I remember seeng pics of him with his sons digging and building outdoor pens for his lizards. He will be missed.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
LadyOhh
What a sad sad day...

Old 08-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Precision Pythons
A very sad day, indeed.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Sweeney's Serpents
I get home, check my e-mails, and find a note from Timo. I don't have the words to express my sorrow for his loss to everyone who had been influenced by his work and him as a person. I have owned several of his animals over the years but I remember a pair of amazing Green Basilisks with glowing orange eyes that I got from him at a Tampa show back in the 90's that always stuck in my mind when I think of Bert. He was the best and will be missed................

Scott Sweeney
Sweeney's Serpents

Old 08-15-2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Drache613
Very sad :-((

Man, terrible news. We have talked now for quite awhile via internet. I feel awful & should have made more of an effort to go to the Tampa reptile show last year but we had just gotten moved into Tampa & missed the show.
I am so sad, because he was such a genuinely nice person & so knowledgeable & always willing to share anything with you.
He will truly be missed. What a great loss.

Tracie

Old 09-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
reddragon36
It was a very sad day at my house when we received the news that Bert passed away. My wife Tere was totally devastated when she heard the news. Bert you will be missed greatly by all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!