Which Tegu is best??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Darkangel92
Which Tegu is best???

I was wondering if anyone can tell me which tegu would be the best choice for me to get. I will be a first time tegu owner. Which tegu is the smallest that is easy to hand tame?

thanks,
Sara

Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkangel92 View Post
Which tegu is the smallest that is easy to hand tame?
Two different answers.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Mokele
IMHO, the blue tegu would be the best match for you. They're smaller than reds or argentines, but don't have the nasty reputations of golds or columbians. I've had a male now for about 6 years, and he's tamed very well and topped out at almost exactly 4 feet long. Not that reds and argentines aren't good, but they're very big lizards, and bigger lizards cost more to feed and house.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
artist
Red face

sorry, i have to disagree with the blue tegu. i would suggest an argentine black and white. if you could get your own colony of dubia roaches going, (which usually takes about six months), you would only have to buy several mice per week for a varied diet. (Dubia roaches are a good source of nourishment, and they don't smell, climb, or make noise.) Argentine B&Ws are DOG TAME!!! they are amazing and act like they want to be held (if they are handled every day.) The only issue would be the size of the cage when they are full grown, but it would be worth it for the Argentine B&Ws!!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
Chico Reptiles
My advice is to get what you like the best, it is you that will have to care for it for many years to come. I have a Arg. red female and she is not as tame as I would like but it is my fault. I have way too many animals to handle her all the time. I do love her to peices though.

Do lots of research as far as care and housing then , and only then you can make a decision on if its the right animal for you.

Good luck

Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
SerpentCreations
I would have to agree, you ultimately in the end need to like what you purchase. I do like the blues, but I want a red... everyone always asks me why I would want a red over a blue, but its just what I like, I had a female a few years back and have been looking for a male for over a year now... it's just personal preference, I like the way they look and my female (who my friend still has) it also dog tame, it's all in how much time you spend handling them.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Miss Tuniwha
I say, you go, handle some and find one that seems tame and go from there.

I only have dealt with one tegu.. She was a b&w columbian.

she was tame. I have even posted photos of her on here dressed in a costume.. would walk on a harness/leash etc.

so.. I think just finding an individual tegu, not necessarily a specific breed.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
MiIguanaLvr
I personally would get an Extreme Giant (assuming you had room to give it proper housing).
They tend to be VERY NICE animals and are simply beautiful!!!!
Besides that, Bobby is a very reputable breeder.
JMHO

Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
Wolfy-hound
I have a arg B&W, a arg red, and had a blue. The B&W is least tame, with the blue close behind. The reds were lovely, and Gracie(my big male) is a sweetheart!
Blues are smallest, but still needs a large pen.
I agree with finding a individual that you like, and getting it. Most will become nicely tame.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Miss Tuniwha
I would consider contacting a breeder, and telling THEM what you want. They would ideally know what they have.. and hopefully say.. "this one here is sweet as sugar" or something less corny, but you know what I mean.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!