Robert Reed Response to Animal Planet - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
EricWI
Robert Reed Response to Animal Planet

This was posted on the KS Herp Law forum and was originally an email response to an inquiry about "Man Eating Super Snakes" show which aired on Animal Planet recently:

Quote:
Thanks for your email. I completely agree that the Animal Planet show was sensationalized, and I've already strongly expressed my disappointment to the company that produced the show for Animal Planet. We were originally told that the show would be a documentary on Python sebae in Florida and its native range, and so I agreed to be interviewed. The questions that I was asked were on the subjects of basic python ecology and the history of research on invasive herps. At the time I was interviewed I had no idea that the show would be so strongly skewed towards over-emphasizing the risks to humans, and I didn't learn the title of the show until it was announced the week before the show aired. I think you're absolutely correct that they're only interested in ratings and income, and that a balanced presentation of the available evidence wasn't a priority. After talking to colleagues who were also featured on the show and who were appalled by the content of what actually aired, I think Animal Planet has effectively burned their bridges with most of the folks conducting research on exotic herps in Florida.

Re: bans on snakes and regulatory agendas, I can only say that it's dangerous to assume a motivation for someone based on limited knowledge of the person in question. Starting in 1987, I've kept multiple species of giant constrictors. I have never publicly offered any opinion, pro or con, on any of the proposals to limit trade in these species. In fact, as a USGS employee I'm prohibited from making recommendations on any proposed policy, since our agency is supposed to stick to science.

Feel free to pass my reply to other folks if you think it would be helpful. I've been smeared repeatedly by some in the pet industry, with a level of sensationalism and dishonesty that is at least equal to what you saw in the Animal Planet show. I'm frankly tired of the rhetoric at both extremes, and it's been so polarizing that we're left with few productive discussions.

Regards,
Bob

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!