San Francisco Pet Sales ban - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
EricWI
San Francisco Pet Sales ban

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,6881137.story

Old 06-27-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
redhood23
That is B.S. Soon they will try to ban Sex, fast food, and interracial relationships! When will our country stop becomming such a communist country? Isn't this supposed to be the land of the free and the home of the brave? To me it seems people are trying to make it the land of the poor, jobless, illiterate and the home of the enslaved! People need to quit trying to fix everything, they keep ing it up for everyone else!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
maxrr
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhood23 View Post
That is B.S. Soon they will try to ban Sex, fast food, and interracial relationships! When will our country stop becomming such a communist country? Isn't this supposed to be the land of the free and the home of the brave? To me it seems people are trying to make it the land of the poor, jobless, illiterate and the home of the enslaved! People need to quit trying to fix everything, they keep ing it up for everyone else!
Exactly...That's why you need to vote Libertarian and/or stay in TX, Brett...Although, govt has overstepped itself here, with the unconstitutional road hunting ban...

Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
redhood23
Im staying in texas max. I need your number again. I lost it again.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #5
ThomasHicks
San Fransisco is completely out of control!

What will they try to ban next? Circumcision? Oh...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_863945.html

Old 07-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
pythonjim
I dub thee..."Petriot Act"

Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
If only those poor residents of San Fran could somehow escape the confines of the city limits, or gain access to the internet, they would be free to continue to purchase animals as they have been able to.
Wait..... they can. So this proposition is aimed at accomplishing basically nothing aside from grandstanding and what may be considered a stepping stone and "win" for the radical animal rights faction.

Encourage adoptions? Not likely when it comes to exotics. Considering 95% of exotics that are up for adoption are species that most people aren't interested in, or else they wouldn't be up for adoption, and even those are probably low in numbers compared to demand even in a large city. Who ever heard of a fish at an animal shelter anyway?

This is one of the most inane, and completely pointless propositions I can think of, with the only resulting effect being the damage done to small business, and large business for that matter, and their employees.
Way to go San Fran, once again a beacon in the night for all to look toward for guidance.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #8
Ivyna J Spyder
I don't agree with a full ban, but it SHOULD be more difficult to obtain a pet. You shouldn't be able to waltz in, pay 5 bucks for a mouse and then neglect it or give it to a shelter in a week when your kid gets bored of it. Or pay a buck for a goldfish so it can languish in a tiny bowl.

If someone has to put some effort into getting their pet, maybe they'll be more likely to put effort into caring for it.

This is in an ideal world anyway. -_- I know in some countries you need permits and things to even keep stuff like beardies, but that'll never happen here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
Encourage adoptions? Not likely when it comes to exotics. Considering 95% of exotics that are up for adoption are species that most people aren't interested in, _
This is crap. Know what all my local rescues are full of?

Red ear sliders, ball pythons, corn snakes, beardies, leopard geckos... all the 'common easy cheap' ones you can pick up at any pet store, that people are encouraged to get as good beginner pets. Obviously people want them- hence pet stores sell them- but too many people get them on a whim because it's so easy.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #9
AbsoluteApril
I thought this ban had already been defeated months ago? hmm I'll go digging again

Old 07-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
americananie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
If only those poor residents of San Fran could somehow escape the confines of the city limits, or gain access to the internet, they would be free to continue to purchase animals as they have been able to.
Wait..... they can. So this proposition is aimed at accomplishing basically nothing aside from grandstanding and what may be considered a stepping stone and "win" for the radical animal rights faction.

Encourage adoptions? Not likely when it comes to exotics. Considering 95% of exotics that are up for adoption are species that most people aren't interested in, or else they wouldn't be up for adoption, and even those are probably low in numbers compared to demand even in a large city. Who ever heard of a fish at an animal shelter anyway?

This is one of the most inane, and completely pointless propositions I can think of, with the only resulting effect being the damage done to small business, and large business for that matter, and their employees.
Way to go San Fran, once again a beacon in the night for all to look toward for guidance.

My guess is that they will simply starting banning exotic animals altogether. Yet another reason why I hate this state.
Also, our school districts in Los Angeles banned chocolate milk. EW! That is the ONLY milk I would drink when I was kid in school (and even then it was still vile). Now they're getting angry because the parents who can afford it are simply sending their kids to school with Nesquik/Alta Dena/etc.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!