Military housing bans exotics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Sariel
Military housing bans exotics

So its becominging harder and harder to own anything other than a house cat and or a beta.
Since theres so much trouble in passing actual laws to ban our animals it seems instead that theyre simply going to make it impossible for anyone who doesnt own their home to even have a guinea pig or a hamster.

I knew that some military housing had blanket rules against exotics, but now it seems to be official that ALL military housing and, I believe, even all civilian operated military housing has banned everything but select dog breeds and house cats. They have even sent papers to shelters listing banned animals.
Now I realize that, as with apartments, it is their property and there for , their rules, but this is getting ridiculous. Any harm a hamster or ball python could do to they property a cat dog or child could do ten fold.

I would like to ask opinions on what might be a feesable course of action to start, first, generating interest in those in the military community to get this blanket rule appealed to somthing alittle more reasonable, and then how to best present it to those in charge to see if we can make some changes.
I think its absolutly unreasonable that my neighbor can stink up MY place by chain smoking, have unmanagable kids that scream all day and dink my car with their toys, but I can't have a micro chipped ball python in a locked cage?

Old 07-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Lucille
It is my guess that one of the issues is financial. Snakes, no matter how tame, and no matter how well locked up, are characterized as wild animals which means that the owners and potentially the military base may suddenly be financially liable for enormous damage claims with very little in the way of argument that can be offered.
http://www.answers.com/topic/strict-liability

I sympathize with the OP, but this classification would be difficult to change, and if the military has had to pay such claims I do not see that persuading them would be an easy task.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Sariel
Ok, but what kind of damage claims are we talking with a ball python or a hamster, seriously? Especially when compared to a dog or even a cat.. Or the neighbors kids when they destroy my property?

I do understand where you are coming from and I had no delusions this would be an easy, if even winnable, battle, but I hate to just lay down and take it. This kind of thing only gets worse with time. Eventualy all apartments, housing, home owners societies, are going to allow -no- pets because its simply too much a hassle to deal with incidents.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
the gecko geek
The only instances I could imagine a ball python or a hamster doing major damage would be if the ball python strangled a young child or baby to death. And for the hamster, I have seen pictures of a childs finger that was bitten by a hamster, and it looked like someone had driven a nail or two into it.
I do agree that you are getting the short end of the stick, and I hope things work out for you, but right now I can see both sides of the fence, and I think the military is going to win this one

Old 07-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Sariel
Its more than just the military though, most apartments and even neighborhoods with home owners associations are beginning to get this bad. It litteraly took me three days of calling -ever- apartment complex in the city we moved into to find a single place that allowed snakes.

As for a child getting bit/strangled, far as I know there has never been a report of a ball python strangleing a child, while Im certainly not going to say it isnt possible, my point of aggrivation is that the pets they ARE allowing are just as capable of doing the same damage.
I dont mind strict regulations, stiff penalties, and reasonable restrictions on some exotics <I can understand being hesitant about allowing someone to have an anaconda in an apartment>, but this just seems to be getting out of hand to me. It is becoming a wide spread norm in this country to just blanket ban everything rather than come to some compromise. It bothers me that we are heading there.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Sariel
Every*... Sorry Im having the derp today, can't spell it seems.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
the gecko geek
Yeah I understand what you mean. My apartments allow reptiles, but don't allow dogs and cats. They see it as less of a threat than a dog or a cat. Why? Probably because they are in cages and can't do any damage to the walls, floors, etc. Idk, I guess I just got lucky with where I chose. Out in my area, we don't seem to be having this problem.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
Sariel
Honestly, that makes more sense to me.
It still sucks for people who prefer cats or dogs, but theres much less of a chance to personal or property damage.

We may be headed out to Cali after this station, I can hope Ill have a less stressful time of finding a welcomeing place to live on the west coast maybe .

Old 07-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
the gecko geek
Yeah you just might! Lots of reptile enthusiasts out here. Do you know where in Cali you're going?

Old 07-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
Sariel
No sure. I'll just be happy if they don't send us to japan, lol. MOre than likely it will be the San Diego area, though, given my husbands MOS.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!