Recycling taken to a whole new level.... ewwww! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
ms_terese
Recycling taken to a whole new level.... ewwww!

I didn't know if this should go here, or in the Just For Laughs forum...but it's not a joke, so I put it here.

Who in heaven's name can get their hands on 1,000 squirrel tails???

http://www.mepps.com/mepps/information/squirrels/

Mepps asks all squirrel hunters to please recycle their squirrel tails. We have been buying the tails of fox, black and gray squirrels for more than three decades; they are used to dress the hooks of our spinners. Hundreds of other materials, both natural and synthetic, have been tested, and nothing else works as well. We will pay up to 26 cents each for tails, depending on quantity and quality. If you would like to exchange the tails for Mepps lures, their cash value is doubled.

NOTE: Mepps is only interested in recycling tails taken from squirrels that have been harvested for the table. We do not advocate taking squirrels strictly for their tails.

Payment

Most folks that send us squirrel tails double their value by trading them for Mepps lures. All-in-all, not a bad deal. They get a great day afield and get to enjoy the stew, too. Then they take the part they used to throw away, offer it to us to recycle and we send them Mepps spinners in return. What a deal!

Shipping refunded on 50 tails or more. Ship by UPS or surface parcel post only. No refund on first class postage or insurance.

For all good quality tails we pay the following:

Gray, Fox & Black Squirrel Tails

under 100--16¢ each

over 100--19¢ each

over 500--21¢ each

over 1000--22¢ each

Premium Tails

under 100--20¢ each

over 100--23¢ each

over 500--25¢ each

over 1000--26¢ each

Double the Value

You can double the cash value of your tails by exchanging them for Mepps spinners from our catalog. If you don't have a Mepps catalog you can go here for a FREE Mepps Fishing Guide. Once your Guide has arrived, you can send us the tails and tell us exactly what lures you want. If, after looking over the care and handling instructions below, you have any other questions, email us. We're always happy to hear from you.

Care & Handling

Please follow these instructions carefully:

Tails are best on squirrels taken after October 1.

Do NOT remove the bone from the tail; it reduces the value. Split tails have no value.

Salt the butt end of the tail generously. Use either dry salt or dip in a strong saltwater solution.

Be sure the tail is straight before drying. Tails that dry curled are useless.

Keep tails away from flies. Best storage is in a freezer. Do not send tails that have been exposed
to flies.

Do not put tails in a plastic bag for storage or shipment. They could heat-up and spoil.

The best time to ship is during cold months (Jan, Feb, Mar, & April). Dried squirrel tails may be shipped anytime.

Put your name, address and tail count inside each package.

Send your tails to:

Sheldons', Inc.
626 Center St.
Antigo, WI 54409-2496

Deer Tails

Sheldons', Inc. pays 25-cents each for delivered whitetail deer tails. Sorry, but we have no use for other kinds of deer tails. If you have less than 250 deer tails, they may be sent during the six cold months (November - April) without prior authorization from us. We are not, however, in a position to buy unlimited quantities of deer tails. If you have more than 250 tails, please let us know and we will send a purchase order for the number we can use. Complete shipping instructions will be included. Under no circumstances should more than 250 deer tails be sent without a purchase order.

Please Note: It's illegal to sell squirrel tails in the states of CA, ID, OR and TX

Old 09-12-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
Just how big is a box of 1000 squirrel tails? I think they are getting them pretty cheap!

BLAGH!!!

Old 09-13-2005, 12:57 AM   #3
Manhattan Herps
...i actually have a tackle box full of mepps spinner lures....well..at least they work!

Old 09-13-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
DAND
Hell, next time I plan on going fishing I'll just scrape a squirrel off the road.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
kiote9
They are getting a heck of a deal on those tails. Look on ebay for animal tails....they are NOT cheap. Well, they only have one squirrel tail on eBay and it is cheap, but I found this too:

(eBay)
You are bidding on 12 Mepps spinners Size's #0,1,2
Starting bid: US $6.99
Shipping costs: US $2.00 - US Postal Service First Class Mail® (within United States )
There are 10 with squirrel tails, and two without. They have always been a favorite of mine for catching trout, bass, and panfish. They just flat out catch fish. Now being disabled I have no more use for them. So somebody will get lucky, hope it's you.

No bids yet, though.

Other animal tails are up for auction and many of them are used for lures as well.

1000 would be a lot to come up with. Do that many people eat squirrels? I haven't tried it.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
A_Kendergirl
I've never had squirrel, but I have a cookbook with recipes! The people that eat squirrel are most often living in very rural areas, and are typically poor. Why buy meat when you can get your own?

I could be wrong....maybe there is a squirrel eating club in Chicago!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
kiote9
Oh I know a lot of people who have eaten it. I actually have a squirrel in my freezer, just don't know what to do with it. It's so small.......why bother?

Now if I lived somewhere with lots of them I might know what to do with them.

(I also have rats, mice, snakes, and geckos in the freezer and am not eating them either.)

Still trying to visualize 1000 squirrel tails. They are very skinny things. The fur just LOOKS full and bushy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!