The Waiting Game for Permits - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
BWSmith
The Waiting Game for Permits

Well, I finally submitted a permit packet to obtain a couple Eastern Indigos here in Georgia. Now is the tough part, waiting for the Permit Unit to get to it. It is a two person department with a 10 person workload. Not to mention my package was 3/4" thick . The folks from Florida can sympathize that it is likely one of the most difficult permits to get.

I am confident that I will be approved and granted the permit since the way I have it set up is as an addendum to my Wildlife Exhibition License. All of the letters of recommendation are from DNR, State Parks, and Nature Centers. But you never know. Anything with Dept of Natural Resources and Indigos can get sticky sometimes. Wish me luck.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
epidemic
Good luck, B.W.!

I hope this works out for you, as I know such permits can be difficult.
Let us know how it works out, as I am very curious as to how they will react to you obtaining a pair of D. couperi, as a pair equals breeding, not simply exhibition.
The State of Georgia can be more difficult than the Federal F&W folks, as the U.S. F&W Service doesn't require interstate commerce permits to "donate" D. couperi specimens to Zoo Atlanta, but the State of Georgia requires the zoo to apply and meet approval for such, prior to such donations...

Good luck,

Jeff

Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
BWSmith
I just spoke to DNR and they are going to push it toward the front for review in early January. That makes me feel more confident. The fact that I am asking for a pair is a major deal for them. That is why the packet is so thick. Everything is spelled out and justified. With my history, I don't think it should be an issue. But the waiting is a killer. Particularly when everything moves in slow motion around the holidays. Regardless of the animals themselves, couperi conservation is being integrated into my programs. Dean Allesandrini and Dirk Stevenson have been vital in getting the program material.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
thesnakeman
WHAT?!!!? A permit for Georgia?!!? Holy crap batman! I talked to those guys about two years ago, and they flat out told me that there was no such thing, for any reason, for any body, no way, no how, not, nada, nein, niet, no frickin way. Ever. The guy was down right RUDE about it too. What, or who, do you have to do, to get a permit for Ga.? Please tell me, as we would really like to move there!! I would really apreciate you clueing us in! Thanks a bunch,
T.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
BWSmith
Well, I have Submitted my packet, but have not been granted a permit yet. I should know in the next few weeks. Department of Natural Resources has had a major restaffing this year. Basically, I could not track down any specific procedures for acquiring a permit, so I over-did everything so that there can never be any question in the future.

I have been a licensed Wildlife Educator in Georgia for several years. I conceived, organized and executed the Rattlesnake Roundup Rescue in 2004. I have organized and led Gopher Tortoise Surveys in South GA for the past couple years. Lots of public displays at festivals, a former roundup, nature centers, state parks, etc. I got letters of recommendation specific to Indigos from nature centers and state parks. I also got one from the vet for most of the Atlanta wildlife rehab clinics. I also lucked out in getting the support from an influential member of the DNR Wildlife Division that I have helped on herpetological surveys. I wanted to ensure that I had the background, experience, and professional references so that it would be pretty ironclad.

My packet is about an inch thick or so. It includes details on exactly what I am trying to get, why, husbandry requirements, educational criteria, legal requirements, herpetological resume, letters of recommendation, references, etc.

Since there is not a set criteria or procedure, particularly for individuals, I submitted a packet that should not be turned down. What I am actually applying for is an addendum to my wildlife exhibition license to include couperi. Hopefully, it will be fine and the permits will be granted.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #6
thesnakeman
B.W.
Well, I wish you luck. And if I can ever be of help, don't hesitate to ask. I'd love to come down and help out with some field surveys. My resume is pretty simple. Ive been playing with snakes for about forty years. I love indigos, and just started breeding them last year. Got my first clutch this year. Had a couple good hook ups again so far this year. No offense, but personally I think it's a damned shame that a person should have to possess all your qualifications to have a captive bred/born indigo. It shouldn't be that difficult, in ANY state! Perhaps you can break the ice for the rest of us. Oh well, good luck, and keep us posted! Please!
T.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
BWSmith
Even with my qualifications, I don't have permits in-hand. That is the worst part.

I got them to review it this month so that I can get on the waiting lists for offspring and do some fundraising to get them. Couperi are not cheap, particularly for just educational purposes (no breeding allowed at this time).

Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
BWSmith
Uggh. Now the REALLY stressful part. I got an update. It appears to have made it through the first stages. I got positive feedback today from one branch of DNR. Tomorrow, it is going to start review by the Nongame Wildlife Division. So far, so good.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!