There are only 58 threads in this forum??!!?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
starwarsdad
There are only 58 threads in this forum??!!??

THAT IS A CRIME!

Why do we overlook this wonderful genus? Why do those of us who keep these magnificent animals tend towards such shyness? LET'S TALK!

I currently have an '04 pair of black pines. In the past, I have kept bulls. I love my pines, but I cannot wait until finances allow me to get back into bulls too. I really want an ivory (hypo x white-sided) and a snow. I don't know how animals homozygous for all four traits would look, but I sure would like to try my hand at producing them!

So what do you folks keep?

Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 AM   #2
Junkyard
My uncle owned a gopher snake once. That is all I got Dean, sorry. Maybe in the future I will add them to my collection. Black pines are gorgeous animals, they are kind of mysterious looking. I also like the albino gopher snakes, the checkered pattern is outstanding.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
Scott Nellis
Talking Ok, I'l add my $.02....lol

I currently have several bulls (normals, albinos, and snows) and would love to get my hands on a really, really red bull. I also have a pair of black pines, a few patternless Southern pines, a pair of albino/het striped Pacific gophers, and some Sonoran gophers. The bulls are my favorites. I have a pair of normals that are going on 11 years old and the male is just HUGE!! He's over 7 feet long and big around as my forearm....plus, he's a pussycat...very gentle, never strikes or hisses. I can't say that for all my bulls, but generally, most of them are fairly calm. I'd like to get an albino Southern pine, but haven't had much luck finding any. Just gotta love a snake that can inhale 3 large rats in under 5 minutes...lol.

Scott Nellis

Old 08-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Stephen30
Question about Bulls ..

I am interested in getting a Bull snake in the next few months.

How do they compare to Northern Pines as far as temperment and size ?
I've kept and bred corns for years, but I'm wanting to venture out and get started in some of the other snakes out there.

How do Bulls act when there hatchlings ??

Thanks for the help.

Stephen

Old 08-16-2006, 01:10 AM   #5
thebrandonisgood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen30
I am interested in getting a Bull snake in the next few months.

How do they compare to Northern Pines as far as temperment and size ?
I've kept and bred corns for years, but I'm wanting to venture out and get started in some of the other snakes out there.

How do Bulls act when there hatchlings ??

Thanks for the help.

Stephen
Hey Scott post a picture of that giant!

Stephen, from what I've read bulls tend to be a little more friendly than Pines but there are always exceptions. I think bulls get a little bigger too but I'm not an expert. The thing about bulls is they seem to have more distinct personalities than corns. They are also generally more alert of their surroundings. The hatchlings are more active and aware of you than young corn snakes and I would say more likely to hiss and strike. Nine times out of ten they calm down and become very tame. Some come out of the egg puppy dog tame. My oldest male has never bit me, even when he was fresh out of the egg. Actually out of my 7 pits only 2 bite and they are both female gopher snakes. Males tend to be calmer FYI. They usually never stop rattling their tails though but pay no attention to it. They really are nothing to be afraid of if you get a captive bred youngster, especially the males. The white sided line is generally pretty docile. I would say my most docile pit is my female white sided. She just laid eggs too btw...

Old 08-16-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
Stephen30
Thumbs up Thanks

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for the help. I plan on going to the Raleigh ,NC Reptile show this Sept. When I'm there hopefully I will find a nice Bull snake to take home with me.

What temperature range do Bulls like. The room were I keep the Corns in stays at 76 at nite, and goes to 82-84 F during the day. There are no air wents in that room. Our overall house temp is 76-80 during the day when we aren't home. Will these temps be ok?

Thanks, Stephen

Old 08-17-2006, 01:03 AM   #7
thebrandonisgood
Those temperatures sound good. They don't like to get too close to 90 though, can make them cranky!

Old 09-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
jaxom1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrandonisgood
Actually out of my 7 pits only 2 bite and they are both female gopher snakes. Males tend to be calmer FYI. They usually never stop rattling their tails though but pay no attention to it. They really are nothing to be afraid of if you get a captive bred youngster, especially the males. The white sided line is generally pretty docile.
Are your gophers breeding? I recently was given a wc Pacific gopher and am trying to decide if it will fit into a breeding program. I would really appreciate seeing pictures of your gophers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!