Bad Guy Edward Babbitt (providencerhodeisland.ri) - NOT RECOMMENDED - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
sbreeden
Edward Babbitt (providencerhodeisland.ri) - NOT RECOMMENDED

Here is my experience with Edward Babbitt (providencerhodeisland.ri) who posted an ad selling a Carlson Snow Rosy Boa on Feb 29, 2016. The ad is here:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=566874

I contacted him via PM on March 2nd to inquire about the animal. He gave me some background info about it, how he would ship it and how to work out the payment ($350) over the course of a few back and forth emails, all on March 3rd. I decided to purchase the snake and Paypal'd the money to him on March 3rd.

He removed his ad for this snake from Kingsnake.com and revised his Fauna ad to say SOLD. He even mentioned in one of the comments below his ad that the snake was sold and shipping to California (where I live) on Monday, March 7th. I emailed him on March 7th to confirm shipment. As I'm sure you predicted, this is where it all goes wrong...

He writes back on March 8th saying the rosy boa (a full-grown adult, by the way) "escaped during my girlfriend doing water bowls" while he was at work. We all know how SLOW rosy boas are so while I was skeptical I gave him the benefit of doubt. He offered to "put the money back into the Paypal account in the morning" (March 9th) for which I thanked him.

March 10th - there is no money. I call him and to he tells me he was still hoping to find the snake and I'll have the money soon.

March 12th - there's money in my Paypal! But it's only $100. But why? In his notes he states "sending the other $250 now, just used the $100 balance in the paypal account"

So basically he spent some of the Paypal money before sending me the snake that escaped and can't be found. And now he owes me $250.

I have a couple phone conversations with him and basically he says he's strapped for cash and needs more time to pay me back. Sounds like he's being honest (otherwise why answer my phone calls?) so I give him more time. And more time.

On March 28th he's able to send me $50 more through Paypal. Now we're down to $200 he owes me.

I call him once each week to find out what's up with the money. He either tells me he'll send it soon or needs more time, it changes with each phone call.

On April 12th he tells me to send him another Paypal request for $50 so he'll see it in his email and be reminded of it. I do. He doesn't send it.

On April 18th I text him for the latest update. He responds saying "Payroll is put in, I'll send money tomorrow after work". He doesn't.

I called him early last week. He answered saying his boss was arrested and if I was there I'd understand why he can't pay me back. He assures me he will though (with interest even!).

I call him again on April 29th and he says he will send the money in 15 MINUTES!!! Could it be true? Nope!

I last emailed him on May 2nd asking what happened and saying I didn't appreciate him brushing me off with the 15 minutes line. He hasn't responded.

On March 25th I told him (via text) I was going to post a BOI thread about him ripping me off and he asked for more time but understood if I did. I gave him more time and didn't post anything... actually I tried to in the comments under the original ad on March 24th but the administrator removed it since it was more for this BOI forum. So here we are now and I will alert him about this thread.

The whole point of this is to just tread with caution if you see him posting ads in the near future and are interested in the animal he's selling. All this makes one wonder if the rosy boa ever escaped in the first place since he clearly needs money to pay bills. Like I said, I called him out for ripping me off but after talking to him on the phone multiple times it seems like he's having a difficult time in life. Most of us have been there at some point or another so we'll see how it all plays out.

I did view his previous ads/posts and comments dating back a few years before agreeing to buy the snake and he seemed like a decent guy. Kinda funny how things change over such a short period of time. Hopefully he'll end up being a man of his word and refund the remaining $200 he still owes me.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
tlmoon
It looks like he was misrepresenting the snake in the ad too - until that was pointed out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
guruza
Your going to be asked for any emails you have and any proof you may have for your side. Might as well be me who asks.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
sbreeden
I will put together a nice presentation this afternoon. Emails first, then texts.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #5
sbreeden
Here are some of the emails.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
sbreeden
Emails continued.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
sbreeden
Here are some texts.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
sbreeden
The rest of the texts.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
sbreeden
Thought I'd give an update... Still haven't heard anything from Edward Babbit. I guess I'll make this a charity write-off for my 2016 taxes. Hope he was able to buy something special with my $200.00 that will bring him satisfaction for years to come. So annoying. What a low-life he turned out to be.

Has anyone else experienced this sending money through PayPal to a seller? Does PayPal offer any kind of protection plan and if so, were you able to get your money refunded through them when the seller turned out to be a thief?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 PM   #10
LuckyStar
Did you send it through business or family?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!