largefluid filled abscess on a dumerils boa. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #21
hhmoore
You jumped the gun with the Baytril - culturing is best done prior to the initiation of antibiotics.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
demonseed38
Very true also. I'm taking it in the morning. The snake is has been wrapped around a small heat rock all day. And the abcess is still draining and not swelling as bad as 8t was. I've been swabbing it with diluted betadine. I give the enrofloxin orally. That blood work will tell the most. My big question is, Does it look like IBD to anyone

Old 11-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #23
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonseed38 View Post
My big question is, Does it look like IBD to anyone
I've never seen IBD in dumeril's or present in that manner.

I have seen systemic infections present in that manner.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:52 PM   #24
bcr229
I didn't think IBD caused skin problems like that, it was mainly neuro issues... or am I misinformed?

Is there just the one bad spot? IIRC whatever took out Aubrey Pruitt's retics earlier this year caused lesions, but each snake had a lot of them.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I didn't think IBD caused skin problems like that, it was mainly neuro issues... or am I misinformed?

Is there just the one bad spot? IIRC whatever took out Aubrey Pruitt's retics earlier this year caused lesions, but each snake had a lot of them.
What took out Aubrey's snakes was a bacterial infection that spread rapidly.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #26
demonseed38
This one is totally isolated from my snakes. I'm going to have a battery of test done tomorrow and on a good note , it did take a hopper outta the tongs a few minutes ago. And the blister is getting smaller. I think the baytril is helping along with the heat and the betadine swabs. I feel confident that this guy is gonna make it. But we will find out. I'll let yall know what the blood test reveal. I'm so hoping it's not viral.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 PM   #27
demonseed38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post

IBD or Vibbs can take them out fast and is hard to diagnose. Luckily I have an awesome reptile vet close to me and I trust he will find out for sure.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 AM   #28
Celtic Constrictors
If you hadn't said there was no heat I would have called that a burn. Maybe it did have heat and it got burned so they removed it?

Let us know what the vet says. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #29
Durante
This is definitely pretty interesting. I haven't seen much like what you have posted & described. I seriously doubt I could offer any real useful insight on whats going on but had a few questions & thought maybe if you were able to answer maybe it trigger something to someone more experienced or at least point you in a general direction to search.

- About how big is the "abscess"? (I cant tell the size of it/the snake from the photo)
- Are there any other abnormal skin issues or additional "abscess"?
- You mentioned it was getting smaller, is it scabbing at all?
- I know you said there was no heat be is there anything else you can say about the previous enclosure? (particularly in regards to moisture/humidity/ventilation/substrate/surrounding critters)

I'm sorry to hear about the situation but thanks for sharing it. Please keep us posted on the status & let us know what the vet/test results come back with.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
demonseed38
Ok. The vet seems to think it's bacterial infection causing the abcess . So I'm going to continue with the baytril and keep cleansing the wound like I've been doing. The snake is very active and seems to be doing a lot better

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!