SD/D Retic pythons size? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Sensay15
SD/D Retic pythons size?

Hello everyone my name is Adrian, and I have a simple question that I'm hoping to get an answer too without being ridiculed or bashed for, simply because I don't know.
Okay my question is how big do the dwarf or super dwarf retics get? I want to know because I have always wanted a big snake or at least a reticulated python, I love their character and demeanor. Only problem is their size, I know that their is a rule of thumb where anything over 8' long you need at least three people to handle the python. And I don't have any one besides my GF and that's still only two people. Therefore I'm hoping a dwarf or super dwarf can be a snake that both my GF and I can handle.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Old 08-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
bcr229
My male SD is two years old and between 4 and 5 feet now.

I have two 50% SD het purple females that are a year old, both are a good bit shorter than my mainland tiger female.

Bear in mind that shorter doesn't always equal easier to handle. I have a purple mainland adult male who is easier to handle and less flighty than my SD. Also the food response on my SD is off the charts, if I'm not feeding him then I have to hook him when I open his enclosure. OTOH my purple male is well over 8', I can handle him alone if needed, and he's not likely to hit first and ask questions later assuming that everything that enters his enclosure is food.

If you're looking specifically for a pet then ask around for a high-percentage SD female, at least a year old, with a chill attitude.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Sensay15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
My male SD is two years old and between 4 and 5 feet now.

I have two 50% SD het purple females that are a year old, both are a good bit shorter than my mainland tiger female.

Bear in mind that shorter doesn't always equal easier to handle. I have a purple mainland adult male who is easier to handle and less flighty than my SD. Also the food response on my SD is off the charts, if I'm not feeding him then I have to hook him when I open his enclosure. OTOH my purple male is well over 8', I can handle him alone if needed, and he's not likely to hit first and ask questions later assuming that everything that enters his enclosure is food.

If you're looking specifically for a pet then ask around for a high-percentage SD female, at least a year old, with a chill attitude.
Thank you, and I am looking for a pet. By the way, I'm glad you pointed out that smaller doesn't mean easier to handle because I'll be honest I did think that would be the case. Therefore now I know better, but I can do it. Also when you say chill female, do you mean like start with a hatchling or juvenile or maybe even a sub-adult?
Thanks for the reply by the way.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
bcr229
I mean one with a mellow attitude, and at least a year old so she would be long past any baby defensiveness or nippiness.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Sensay15
Cool thank you very much. I appreciate the help.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensay15 View Post
Hello everyone my name is Adrian, and I have a simple question that I'm hoping to get an answer too without being ridiculed or bashed for, simply because I don't know.
Okay my question is how big do the dwarf or super dwarf retics get? I want to know because I have always wanted a big snake or at least a reticulated python, I love their character and demeanor. Only problem is their size, I know that their is a rule of thumb where anything over 8' long you need at least three people to handle the python. And I don't have any one besides my GF and that's still only two people. Therefore I'm hoping a dwarf or super dwarf can be a snake that both my GF and I can handle.

Hello there!

A mainland retic male will average areound the 14-16ft mark, while females will be in the 16-18 ft mark

A pure jamp(a dwarf locale) still has the ability to get around 16ft, while other locales of dwarf can be significantly smaller such as selayer isle locales, which are around 12-14ft.

While pure superdwarfs can be around 8-10ft.

As Melinda said, more often than not superdwarfs are going to be more flighty and "wiggly" than mainlands who for lack of better terms, are like honey badgers. They just don't care.

Dwarfs are a nice mix of the laid back attitude while still being on the smaller side. You need to search for high % dwarfs of the morph you're looking for, but with enough searching you'll find the perfect animal.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I mean one with a mellow attitude, and at least a year old so she would be long past any baby defensiveness or nippiness.
I do disagree with this however. Normally baby retics aren't like baby burms. They aren't overly bitey, they're very inquisitive and curious even as babies.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
I do disagree with this however. Normally baby retics aren't like baby burms. They aren't overly bitey, they're very inquisitive and curious even as babies.
Perhaps it would have been better worded as individual defensiveness then. I know a few folks have babies that needed a lot of work to tame down, while other clutchmates were easy-going from the day they pipped.

I love the "honey badger" comparison, that describes my mainlands perfectly!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Sensay15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Thanks for the feed back, so would you say a 12'-14' (dwarf) snake is good for at least 2 people to handle or 1? Or should i stick with the 9'-10' (super dwarf) because although I say my GF will help me, i know its most likely going to be me by myself. And since the largest snake I have personally owned was 6'1/2" dumerils boa. I was able to feel the power in him. So I'm hoping with a larger snake to be able to have some control (if that is possible). Also so a yearling is a good choice to start with?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensay15 View Post
Thanks for the feed back, so would you say a 12'-14' (dwarf) snake is good for at least 2 people to handle or 1? Or should i stick with the 9'-10' (super dwarf) because although I say my GF will help me, i know its most likely going to be me by myself. And since the largest snake I have personally owned was 6'1/2" dumerils boa. I was able to feel the power in him. So I'm hoping with a larger snake to be able to have some control (if that is possible). Also so a yearling is a good choice to start with?

I've personally handled much larger snakes by myself. It's about knowing the animal and knowing how to handle it. It's also all about what you're comfortable with.

Personally I'd start with a baby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!