How bad are bites from an adult green tree python? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
Reptile202
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
well, it could have gone either way (i was there when he got bit) the thing with kingsnakes, is that when they clamp on the keep grinding and grinding. also, it was a florida king, and she was like 7-8 feet or so. they get huge for non-venomous colubrids
Sounds like my white, yellow striped king. This all happened like within minutes. He locked on and held the flesh between my right middle and index finger. He then released only to bite and hold the back of my right hand. After he released that, he locked and held onto my left index finger. Lol.

A very nippy guy.

I also have a black rat snake. I believe the record for a black rat snake is a little over 8 ft. Let's hope for my sake, I won't get the journey of stitches.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
hadenglock
i dont really think a gtp bite could result in stitches, granted they have fairly large teeth, but they are still a small snake compared to being bitten by much larger pythons like retics or burms. On a side note id be more afraid of getting bitten by an emerald tree boa, they have some pretty big teeth compared to their size

Old 03-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
AbsoluteApril
the only bites I've seen that needed stiches were retics and iguana/monitor bites.

I've been bitten by my large boas and some amazon tree boas. The boas felt like being punched, with the tree boas, you feel the teeth! I felt each tooth, they are longer and it hurts a bit more (imo).

Anyways, a lady on another forum posted about a GPT bite that happened to her friend, it pierced her ear. Here's the story with pics:
http://www.iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx?uid=42877

Old 03-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
stolenheron
I've been bit by quite a few animals ranging from raccoons to blood pythons.

Arboreal snakes can hurt, I have been bit by a few Amazon tree boas. Like AbsoluteApril said, you do feel all of the teeth (like a bunch of decent length needles going into you). They let go in a second or two (usually) and all you have to show for it are puncture wounds and some bleeding. I would expect a GTP bite to be similar unless you RIPPED the snake off of you instead of it releasing.

I've been bit by adult blood pythons, a raccoon, a dozen grey squirrels, dogs, cats, tons of different colubrids, a handful of boid species, and a couple of carpet pythons. The most painful bite by far is a squirrel, they have teeth like lasers.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
Cynspin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolenheron View Post
they have teeth like lasers.
That is the best analogy I've ever seen on this site! *dies laughing*

Old 04-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
geck123
i have an adult biak gtp who is very nippy.the last bite was while hand feeding her,she hit with full force.the force was harder than i expected ,but still wasn't bad.the teeth did puncture deeper than any other snake bite i've had,and caused a soreness feeling for about 1/2 an hour.i held my hand down to allow some bleeding(bleeding is natures way of cleaning a wound),ran some water over the puncture wounds,dried it with paper towels,and then washed my hands with germ x.using the germ x for a sanitizer was,by far,the most painful of the entire ordeal.since i keep current on my tetanus shot(not because of snake bites)a lot of the time i do nothing but wipe the blood off for other snake bites.

gtp's do have the longest strike i've seen from a snake,so i do keep her a good distance from my face when holding her,which is rarely.the eyes are what concern me most about a facial strike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile202 View Post
I've been thinking about purchasing one in the much later future. I read their bites can be devastating enough to the point of needing stitches. Is there any truth behind this? I know a lot of stuff concerning them tend to be false.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!