reptile safe plants???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Flora > Flora General Discussions

Notices

Flora General Discussions This will cover anything and everything you all wish to discuss about plants.

Old 09-04-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
nicolai
reptile safe plants????

Does anyone have a list of the plants that are generally safe for the majority of reptiles. also does anyone know if the corn plant(Dracaena frangrans massangeana) is safe for use with reptiles, crested geckos to be specific.

Old 09-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
I don't have a list of safe plants, but when it comes ot things like geckos most plants are just fine.
As long as the plants do not have any potentially damaging spines or secrete any toxins, you won't have any worries with geckos. A corn plant would be perfect for cresteds, a sturdy trunk and broad leaves.
You really only have to worry about plant eating herps though. There's a number of plants that are toxic when ingested. I'm sure there's a basic list of thesew out there somewhere, but I've never had one.

A few plants I have used successfully are:
Sanseveria (snake tongue, mother-in-laws tongue)
Pothos
Pony tail palm
Dracena

I usually just go with sanseveria and pothos because they are such tough plants. They have no problem surviving the cage conditions. You can take a fairly large pot with a 1x4 in the middle and train a pothos around it for a nice effect in arboreal gecko cages.

Old 09-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #3
nicolai
excellent!!! thanks for the info. I cant believe that there isnt a list somewhere that lists all the safe plants. You said you have used dracena before, do you know which dracena it was??

Old 09-04-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
nicolai
Found a list on the web!!!!!

Here is the list i found:

Abelia
African Daisy
Sweet Alysum
Chamomile
Arbutus
Asperagus Fern
Aster
Baby's Tears
Bird's Nest Fern
Boston Fern
Bottle Bush
Bouganville
Bridal Veil
Bromeliads
Camellia
Coleus-this plant is midly toxic, it is ok for most chameleons but if you have one that likes to eat plants like a Veiled do not use this plant.
Corn Plant
Corn flower-also known as bachelors buttons
Croton
Draceana
Emerald Ripple
Eugenia
Fuschia
Geranium
Hen and CHicks Succulent
Hibiscus-my favorite choice
Hoya
Iceplant
Japanese aralia
Impatients
Jade Plant
Jasmine
Lavender
Marigold
Monkey Plant
Mother of Pearl
Natal Plum
Painted nettle
Palms
Pampas Grass
Parlor Palm
Peperomia
Phoenix
Piggyback Plant
Pilea
Pink Polka Dot Plant
Ponytail Plant
Purple Velvet
Spider Plant
Staghorn Fern
Swedish Ivy
Tree Mallow
Umbrella Plant
Velvet Plant
Wandering Jew
Warneckii
Wax Plant
ZEbra plant
zinnias

Old 09-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolai
You said you have used dracena before, do you know which dracena it was??
I don't know offhand. It was mainly for looks though. The leaves were long and spindly, not much use for anything but something to look at.
The sanseveria are great for arboreal geckos. Good perching places and you are hard pressed to kill the plants. I use them most often.

Old 09-05-2005, 09:18 AM   #6
nicolai
Sansevieria

Is this the Sansevieria you used??

Old 09-05-2005, 10:44 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
That's it.
I always kept a couple of those in my day gecko tanks, they are great for arboreal geckos. The leave are broad and very sturdy.
The geckos also lay their eggs in the pocket at the base of the leaves quite often.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
nicolai
excellent!!!

I am going to grab up a few of the those as well. thanks for the help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!