Hognose temps (is 100 degree basking too high?) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
lupegirl8
Hognose temps (is 100 degree basking too high?)

I've heard some variable things about hognose temps. With the heat lamp I have the basking spot is about 100 degrees at the warmest spot with lots of places in the 90s and then the ambient temperature through the rest of the tank is in the low 80s.

Is that too hot? My Northern blue tongue skink (another desert creature) is fine at those temps, but I know that skinks and hognoses come from very different deserts. It's a young hognose if that makes a difference. So far the snake isn't showing any signs of being bothered by the heat, but I've only had her a few days.

If it is too hot do you have any advice on how to get it to cool down? I'm pretty sure the basking lamp I'm using is the lowest watt you can get.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
humanmeerkat
I would say it's too hot...32 c is the recommended hot spot but I have mine at 34 c as she appears to be more active. Ambient is about 27-28 c. Loads of hides both ends. As for cooling down try a UTH.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
lupegirl8
So I've moved the lamp and now the hottest spot is around 89-90 degrees and the ambient temperature is in the low 80s. The cool end is about 80-81 degrees.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #4
bcr229
Your cool end could be lower. I run mine at room temp (76*F) with a UTH providing belly heat at 90*F.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
lupegirl8
Is an 80 cool end too high? Or does it just not NEED to be that high?

Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
humanmeerkat
Little bit too high..room temp is good...but your critter will normally let you know is it spending all its time on one side of the viv hot cold or is it moving from one side to the other..I find that care sheet temps are a guideline and i adjust according to my snakes behaviour

Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
lupegirl8
I've definitely seen her more on the warm side of the tank than the cool side. She has been trying to escape a lot though (climbing up the sides in the corners). I assumed that was just because she's adjusting to a new environment and testing the boundaries.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
lupegirl8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupegirl8 View Post
I've definitely seen her more on the warm side of the tank than the cool side. She has been trying to escape a lot though (climbing up the sides in the corners). I assumed that was just because she's adjusting to a new environment and testing the boundaries.
She's been on both sides of the tank though. Just more often on the warm side. Sorry for double posting I didn't know how to edit my post.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
humanmeerkat
As long as she shedding and eating fine I wouldn't worry too much..although I would drop temps a little as when you drop your hot spot the ambient should drop aswell. Hognose are a very active snakes, mine never seem to be still. She could be looking for a cooler place. It won't do any harm dropping them down a little. Also I would defo change to a UTH I only use ceramics for my balls and boas my corn and hogs are all UTH But that's only my preference as it works for me I don't think there is a right or wrong tbh.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
lupegirl8
Ok. I've only had her for about 5 days. She hasn't eaten yet (I've tried twice in the first four days I had her). She reacts defensively towards the food and doesn't want to eat it; the people at the pet store said she was a little pig though so I'm hoping once she has a little more time to adjust she will want to eat.

Do you think the high temperatures would make her not want to eat? I would think if anything they would up her metabolism and make her more hungry than usual.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!