Power Outage Preparations? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Hilikme
Power Outage Preparations?

Hello,

I was just curious as to if anyone had any ideas for what I could do to solve this problem.

I've kept Bearded Dragons for awhile now, and would now love to get myself a RT boa. Having done months and months of reading and research, there's only one thing that I'm stumped on/worried about now. I live out in the country, and during the winter, temps can get down to -40 occasionally -- in general, they're pretty cold. That combined with the risk of power outages scares me a little.

I was never too concerned about the Beardies as I have them on dark slate rock and sand which holds the heat for hours after their lights are off, and out of pure luck, the only power outages we have had with the Beardies has been while someone was home. (The outages don't seem to ever last more than 8 hours out here tops). We also have a wood stove to heat the house while we are home so heating once we are home isnt' an issue.

Now here's where my worry/scare comes in. There will be some days where both my partner and I are not home, for roughly 10 hours, for work/school. If a power outage were to happen while I was not home, is there any preventatory measures or back-up systems I can have set up for my boa's heat? This isn't so much of a worry during other times of the year, just mainly in the winter because our house temperature can drop fast when it's freezing out (after a long stretch with no heat in the house it has hit 50 degrees fahrenheit/10 degrees celsius indoors).

So any thoughts on the matter? I mentioned this to my partner last night and he mentioned perhaps some sort of battery power supply that would switch on (the uninterrupted power supplies don't seem like they would be worthwhile for this purpose, but I'm not sure). If it makes a difference, for now anyways, I was planning on housing my boa-to-be in a secure rubbermaid (or some equivalent) tub, until it's larger and I can have either a plastic or custom wood enclosure built. I would probably be heating it either with a heating pad or flexwatt (with thermostat), but haven't decided yet (I don't know if it would make a difference for my eventual heat back-up solution).

Thanks for any assistance!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Kingetula
besides a generator I'm not sure, did you find anything or come up with anything?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!