What the heck is this? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
Vince
What the heck is this?

Well I ran into my buddy today, he is in the landscape bussiness and gave me a female box turtle he ran over with a mower.(she is doing great now) and I asked him if he has bumped into any turtles lately. he said no but check out what one of my guys found. some kids he had working cleaning trash out of drainage ditches found this, it was all dryed out and had dirt all over it, and was in the back of a pickup truck. they thought it was an eel. Im guessing more of a siren,It has tiny stubby limbs but im not 100% sure. I have lived in this area of florida for 15 years and never seen one before. well check it out and let me know what you think.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Vince
no one knows?!

Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
robin d.
thats gross could it be a leach?

Old 02-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
Vince
nope, it has a mouth and four tinny legs , two by the headm and two toward the end. with a kind of a flat head.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
robin d.
email that pic to justyn of intense herp.. maybe its some sort of salamander or newt... he know allot about those

Old 02-23-2005, 11:49 PM   #6
Ron Lech
Vince, if it has two limbs in the front and back then it's a Amphiuma, a type of amphibian. Keep it completely aquatic and feed it nightcrawlers, blood worms, fish etc... Watch out though they can bite when handled. Sometimes they can be found crossing roads between swamps when it's raining, otherwise they are totally aquatic.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:59 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
It's an amphiuma. It is the longest salamander in North America.

Amphiumas (family Amphiumidae) are usually found in mud or slime. They are eel-like and have two pairs of legs but the legs are so tiny that they are basically useless. Adults have gill openings and larvae have external gills.

The Two-toed Amphiuma or Congo Eel, Amphiuma means, is found in slow-moving freshwater throughout the state. Its body is dark gray above, lighter gray below, and may grow to 39" long. It has two toes on each leg. It eats worms, small fish, tadpoles, and crustaceans.

In the winter, females lay 50-200 eggs, usually in wet mud, and guard them until they hatch about six months later. The larvae are black above and tan below and 1.5-2" long.

It has strong jaws and a vicious bite. It should be handled very carefully.

The One-toed Amphiuma, Amphiuma pholeter, is found in marshy sloughs around streams in the gulf hammock region. It is gray black to black and may grow to 12.5" long. It has one toe on each tiny leg. It feeds on earthworms.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:47 AM   #8
Vince
sounds like thats what i have on my hands, I had a feeling it was something like that I thought siren becuse I never heard of amphiuma. How rare is this guy? I thinking of releasing him I know a perfect spot. But if this a rare animal I will go back to where it was first found so that it will have a chance of breeding with another one. Im guessing something like this is never breed in captivity? if someone could point me in the direction of a webpage maybe that would be great.

as soon as I got him I put him in a 5 gal bucket with a little water on the bottom , it perked right up, started moveing around. and when I got him home I hade a big container with old gravel on the bottom so I just put some water in that and he was been swiming around, it hasent feed yet. it is a very cool animal to look at, but I would rather set him free, all I really wanted to do it make sure it didnt die in the back on someones truck.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
jsrocket
Probably a 2-Toed. The one- toed does not range that far down the coastline, according to the range maps I found.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
OneTwentySix
That looks like a siren, and the area's right for them. Does it have two front legs that are decently developed, or just four tiny, underdeveloped legs?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!