The Pied project...Myth? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
cahrens
The Pied project...Myth?

So we've all heard and read that the amount of white in pieds is random. I've never really bought that line. It always seemed to me that the people saying that are trying to sell low white animals. Don't get me wrong, I like the low white pieds better. Their pattern is cool and there are so many ways to make a white snake plus,the pied gene has much greater potential than that. So back in 2006, I bought a pied male(Pied male 1). He's probably 70-75% white. I bred him to CH normal girls and held back all the female babies. Now for the sake of this theory, I'm going to call them "HHW" or Het High White. I raised them up to size and bred them back to the father. I consistently produced high white babies. Not usually, always. Every single baby was at least as white as the father with some showing even more white. Year after year, when bred to his HHW daughters, they produce high white babies. A couple years ago, maybe 2010, (I'm not sure and don't feel like digging for the receipt), I bought 2 low white males(Pied male 2, and Pied male 3). Last fall, I bred these 2 low white males to some of the HHW females. I think the results speak for themselves. Finally, I was able to produce lower white animals. Mostly medium white. None are as low as the fathers but there is a big difference within the clutches. Some babies are higher white and some are lower. It would appear that the amount of white is random, if I didn't know the genetics involved. I feel as though people don't track the amount of white in the parents of hets and that's an important factor in determining what will be produced when bred to a visual. My conclusion... High white pied x HHW= High white babies. Low white pied x HHW= Variable white babies. I only wish I had some het low white females to breed back to the low white males. The problem is, I bred them to the HHW females so I couldn't count on the purity concerning the low white aspect. Anyway,... On with the pictures! First up, Pied male 1 and his offspring...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
cahrens
More of his babies...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
cahrens
Couple more. The last 1 is a male and has gone to his new home already, hence the different pic in case anyone was wondering.
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
cahrens
Now for the next male and his offspring...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
cahrens
Last but certainly not least... Is there really a least when we're talking pieds?
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
cahrens
More...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
Helenthereef
All stunners and an interesting topic, looking forward to the discussion.

Now if only you could breed guaranteed smilies as in post 3

Old 08-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
cahrens
Those smileys do pop up from time to time. Look at the pic just before that. You can see the "eyes". Interestingly, the eyes are on the snakes left side with the "mouth" on the right. The one you referred to is the only male I held back this year. I didn't really need another male but...Ahh whatever. What's 1 more right?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Reptile Frenzy
Interesting topic. Seems like you might be onto something here. Never have produced pieds YET but i think more along the lines of high white will produce high white like you said. With knowing what will produce what you can balance out what you produce according to the demand of wether people want high or low white pieds. Everybody has their own taste and their own way of selective breeding. Thanks for the post.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
TexasVipRoom
Ill post pictures this afternoon but this is the first year I have produced pieds and it was a high white visual pied to 100% het pied pairing. I hatched out 3 pieds and interestingly enough two are very high white and one is 50/50. It may be a fluke it may not. I am not sure but thought I would add my findings to maybe help support ur theory.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!