Need egg advise please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
R&TB
Need egg advise please

I was just checking on my snakes and pulled out a tub for my female snow corn who refused her meals the last 2 meals. Well I think I found out why, 13 eggs. The catch is I do not remember ever putting her with the only other male corn I have. She has never been bred before and I had her since she was pencil big. My question is I have nothing for the eggs. I have them in a small tub for now with damp paper towels around them. My snake room temps stay about 78-80 at night and 85 during the day.
I've had boas for years and they produce live and my corns and bulls were supposed to produce this spring when I was ready and did more research. I had corns years ago but I am not ready for eggs, thats why they were never put together. So besides being confused on how this happened, do those who breed corns feel that these eggs will have a chance. I will got to the pet store in the morning to find some type of egg medium.
Any advise would be great. The eggs were marked and removed without rolling or anything. I think I'll be ok but if anyone has an idea please let me know.
Thanks
Rob and Trish

Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
It's possible that the female laid an infertile clutch without being exposed to a male. It happens. Candle the eggs in a week to check for veins. If you don't see veins, wait another week and try again. If you do not see veins in 2 weeks, they are more then likely duds.

Incubating at your snake room temperature will be fine. I incubate Cornsnakes at 82 and a slight fluctuation in temperature will not hurt them. They may take longer to hatch then the standard 60 days, but it really should do them no harm.

Ditch the paper towels and pick up an appropriate incubating substrate. My absolute favorite is orchid moss...But it can be hard to find (I've only found it at plant nurseries) and can get expensive if you have a lot of clutches. I've also had great success using organic soil. Their are other incubation substrate options such as perlite and vermiculite, but I use neither of them. If you choose to incubate using a type of moss or dirt, I highly suggest you microwave it to kill any nasties that could possibly be in the substrate.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
R&TB
I don't know why this posted twice, could a mod please remove the second post thanks.

TME I do plan on a better substrate but no stores that would carry it is open close to me. I do plan on picking up something better first thing in the morning. The paper towels were the first thing that I thought of just too keep some type of humidity with the eggs.
Its been a while since I've dealt with eggs and I hope I get this right. I'm not prepared for or expecting eggs thats why I wanted to wait. Well I'll grab some type of substrate in the morning and give it a shot.
Thanks for the advise
Rob and Trish

Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Nagini
I just hatched a clutch(hatched lastnight and still hatching)in my snake rack at that temp so you should be fine

Old 11-20-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
R&TB
Well I got some better medium the following morning and packed the eggs. We put them in the incubator and hoped for the best. Well this week they started to hatch. There are now 13 snow corn babies. My kids are so excited.
Here are a couple pics

We actually had 14 eggs and lost one for some reason. 2 babies are yet to fully emerge, but the rest are in their deli cups. When I posted the original message I was so panicked but it wasn't to bad after all. At least when you had what you needed lol.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Uroboros
Ok, so I'm still curious. How were those eggs viable? I presume that she must have been exposed to the male long enough to let their teenage hormones go nuts.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
R&TB
Me and the wife have been picking out brains on this since the eggs were laid. The only thing I can think of is when I got my racks for the corns and bulls we must have put a male and female together. During the talks with the I did recall that we did put a few snakes together while cleaning the racks we just got in. Well not sure which one but one of us obviously put a male and female together, I'll blame her lol.
I did forget about this until not too long ago, so now it makes a little more sense. Now I stock extra tubs for the incubator and also plenty of orchid (?) moss for a medium.
Looks like our mystery maybe solved lol.

Rob and Trish

Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TB View Post
Me and the wife have been picking out brains on this since the eggs were laid. The only thing I can think of is when I got my racks for the corns and bulls we must have put a male and female together. During the talks with the I did recall that we did put a few snakes together while cleaning the racks we just got in. Well not sure which one but one of us obviously put a male and female together, I'll blame her lol.
I did forget about this until not too long ago, so now it makes a little more sense. Now I stock extra tubs for the incubator and also plenty of orchid (?) moss for a medium.
Looks like our mystery maybe solved lol.

Rob and Trish
maybe you put two females together, but in reality one was a male? At least im not the only one this happens to haha

Congrats!!!!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
TripleMoonsExotic
Being that you ended up with all Snows, the Sire at the very least should be a Snow (Murphy though does sometimes kick us in the butt with those things though)...That might help you determine who the probable father is.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
R&TB
Well I have two snow corns, a known male and known female. One of us ( me or the wife) must not have been paying attention when cleaning the new rack and tubs, Ill continue to blame her lol. So I learned that 2 snows make all snows lol. I also learned to double check the wife lol, I hope she don't read this.

Thanks
Rob and Trish

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!