Kinked Baby (Warning: Graphic!) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Snakesitter
Kinked Baby (Warning: Graphic!)

As mentioned in my main litter post, out of an above-average litter by both size and weight, Alex and Hills did produce one single baby with a birth defect -- a severely kinked spine.

It was bad enough that I doubted she one would be able to eat. A vet I know offered to try and fix her spine by separating the fused vertebrae. I was not optimistic about the chances for success, but it was (very generously) free, and at least offered her a shot, I gave the go-ahead.

I’d be curious to get other breeders’ opinions on what her chances would have been if I’d allowed her to try and make it without help.

Top Main

Top Detail

Underbelly Main

Underbelly Detail

Details on the rest of the very healthy litter may be found here: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=273458.

Thank you, as always, for reading.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
deborahbroadus
Ive always liked the Rainbow Boas...they are so pretty!

I doubt (but could be wrong, because Nature is amazing) that she would be able to get prey past the kink and so would not have survived. Thus...I would have culled.
It would have been one less defective gene in the pool. But that's only my opinion.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Snakesitter
Thanks Deborah, much appreciated.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
mxracer4life
I agree with Deborah. As strong as nature can be, it is possible that snake could live, maybe off pinkies, but it would be difficult to shed, eat, brace itself in a tree properly or even just plain trying to move from one place to another. It sucks you have to deal with this Cliff. Best of luck in whichever direction you choose.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
Snakesitter
Thank you Jeremy, I appreciate the additional perspective.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Helenthereef
I'm not a breeder and have no experience with this particular species, but I'd also think that the survival chance of this snake in the wild would be nil, and while maybe possible in captivity with patience and extended care, would probably not give great quality of life.

I think you've done the right thing by trying surgery - has it been done yet? Would be interesting to hear what was done and how it went...

Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Snakesitter
Hi Helen, thanks for the opinion.

The vet tried to straighten the baby's spine the day of its birth, I believe by separating the fused vertebrae. He did it manually rather than surgically, which at the time surprised me...but I'm not a vet, and he is.

The little one would have been only an hour old at the time of the procedure. She was full of wiggle before, not so much after.

After the vet finished, I placed the baby in its very own drawer to rest in peace and quiet away from its brothers and sisters. There was not a lot of movement.

Unfortunately, she (? I'm not sure, but it feels right to give her at least one detail for history) had passed away by the time I came home, I believe from a severed spinal cord...but that is only a guess on my part. I did not have an autopsy done.

Wherever she is now, I hope it's a kinder place.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
phoenix-cry
I fear that the vet (although trying their best) most likely did some major damage to the spinal cord. You can't break the spine on a healthy snake and expect it to survive I don't see how doing so with such a sever deformity could do any better.

Sadly I doubt that anything could have been done and at least she was given a chance.

She'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge with a nice straight spine.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #9
Helenthereef
I agree, I don't see how it could have been a good outcome if you hadn't tried to do something. Probably better for her in the end. Thanks for sharing the story.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #10
reptiguy909
my big girl RTB.jpg

this is my girl Bella RTB she is an '06 she is currently 8ft..... she was only 6.5ft in this pic but if u look at her neck u can c a double kink....... she has no problem taken down jumbos and baby rabbits...... i think quite possibly yours could have and would have been A-OK..... just my opinion......... btw she was born like this

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!