Another hospital incompetence story - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #1
SCReptiles
Another hospital incompetence story

A friend called me last night and told me he had been envenomiated. I was already on the road, so I went over to his apartment to access the damage. He had took a bite on the middle knuckle of the left index figure. I marked off the bite, then marked and timed the pain and swelling line. When the swelling made it to the wriest, he decided he wanted to go to the ER. I took him to Memorial in Chattanooga, TN, which is where I go with mine. Up until last night, I had always been impressed with this operation. The ER was backed up and they took probably a half hour to triage. Since this was a minimal envenomation I didn’t say too much. Had we been there with a cobra or EDB bite, I would have kicked the door in and carried him to the back. So, after a half hour or so wait, they took him in and got his story and insurance info. The attendant tells him to go back out and wait, they will get to him asap. She then says, “Dr Champion says not to worry copperhead bites are not fatal.” The Dr made this diagnosis without even looking at him. For all she knew, he could have been in the middle of an anaphylactic reaction. I asked the lady to inform Dr Champion that a perfectly healthy young man died from a copperhead bite last summer in LA.

If this had been a severe envenmation, the half hour they wasted before they talked to him could have been the difference in him losing his hand or even life and death. And the statement from Dr Champion should be grounds for a malpractice lawsuit.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
A_Mc
Wow...That is bad.
I am an ER/Trauma RN. Without a doubt, your friend should have been assessed by AT LEAST a nurse when he walked in the door. In my experience, copperhead bites can be pretty nasty, and I have administered CRO-FAB on more than one occasion. Granted, copperheads are not as bad as some of the others out there (I worked in Australia for a while). They still require immediate attention as they have the potential to be lethal. I mean, it takes 2 seconds to have a 'quick look'.
So, how did your friend do?

Old 07-12-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
gila7150
Quote:
The ER was backed up and they took probably a half hour to triage.
I'm a paramedic in Orlando, FL and 30 minutes would be considered quick here when the ER is busy. I' worked in ER's before I went to work for the fire department and problems like this are usually due more to minimal staffing and not enough beds rather than incompetence. It's crappy service but it's usually the fault of administration rather than the people working in the ER.

If the RN who assessed your friend described to the ER DR. that your friend was only having localized swelling / pain at the site of the bite, that really doesn't justify rushing him back before people who are suffering chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc. The triage exam and vital signs were probably enough to let the RN know that you're friend wasn't having an anaphylactic reaction.

I hope your friend is doing ok. I don't mean to sound like I'm taking the hospital's side because I wasn't there. I can definitely relate to his frustration. I spent over an hour in the waiting room doubled over with a kidney stone last year. I wanted to kill someone.

By the way, if your friend documented his bite experience with a description or photos I would be very interested. I've been working on a Agkistrodon informational website for a while (although I've been taking a break from it recently because I've been so busy). I'd love any info he might be willing to share.

Old 07-13-2005, 12:20 AM   #4
SCReptiles
Quote:
If the RN who assessed your friend described to the ER DR. that your friend was only having localized swelling / pain at the site of the bite, that really doesn't justify rushing him back before people who are suffering
if that was the way it happened, I would not be upset. NO ONE had looked at home when the diagnose was made. NO ONE!!!! When we stepped in to give the insurance info was the first time anyone there looked at him. Dr Champion had already told the desk lady to send him back to wait, copperhead bites are not fatal.

He did not take photos, but I have some from my 2nd copperhead bite.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:58 AM   #5
gila7150
OK, that's different. I didn't realize that it was just a registration clerk that sent him back to the waiting room. Obviously, they don't have any business triaging anyone.

If you have any bite photos you'd be willing to share, they'd be greatly appreciated. You would be credited for any photos you submit.

Thanks,
Chris
gila7150@earthlink.net

Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 PM   #6
SCReptiles
Quote:
If you have any bite photos you'd be willing to share, they'd be greatly appreciated. You would be credited for any photos you submit.
well, I didn’t expect to get bit that night…like anyone ever does. I didn’t have my digital with me, so all my photos are hard copies. Getting them scanned is on my list of things to do. I will hook you up when that is done. But a word of warning, this was like a year ago and I have been mean to get them scanned ever since. Ha ha

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!