Temple Vipers - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
GinoInDaBronx
Temple Vipers

For years now, I can remember hearing/reading bits and pieces about a certain Buddhist temple where the monks actually allow numerous vipers (wagleri) to live within it. Not only that, but
apparently they feed them and care for them as well. I had been
under the impression that this was in Thailand somewhere, but recently, someone told me that it was is Malaysia. Does anyone know, specifically, where it is? Are there any decent links about it?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 AM   #2
snakegetters
I do not know the location of these temples, but I have seen photographs depicting the Wagler's being freehandled in a manner that I would describe as highly inadvisable. Waggies are pretty nice and tolerant animals, but they have an evil feeding response.

One tourist account stated that the animals with red marks on their heads were defanged or otherwise rendered harmless so that tourists could take photos with the snakes perched on their heads. If this is true, I'd really like some time alone with these supposedly religious people and a pair of dental pliers so I can teach them about karma.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
GinoInDaBronx
oh no

Unfortunately, Tanith, I think that you may be right.

Follow this link:

http://www.serendipity.li/gilman/chap24.html

Just in case that is altered, here is a transcript

A Buddhist temple down the road is a stranger sight. It's the 'Snake Temple'. When it was built a colony of bright green and yellow fanged serpents, Wilson's Vipers they are called, came to reside in the temple. They are relatively lethargic, and don't bite ...... at least, not today.

The monks feed them and believe they are sacred. They have the run, so to speak, of the temple and grounds.

A hawker is there, of course, with camera, handling the snakes, wrapping them around tourists, shooting the scene. Memories.

I pick a few up. Snake tongues darting out, eyes winking. It's a little like playing poker with Destiny as the snakes stare at me, evenly, in the eyes.

The hawker keeps warning me that I'll get bitten, and doing all he can to persuade me to release those serpents. I'm ruining his business.

I knew that the monks would never be involved in any butchery like this. It sounds as though it is the hawkers doing the maiming. What a shame!

Incidentally, the temple is in Penang, Malaysia. And I have no idea what a 'Wilsons viper' is.

Old 08-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Hammer
Correct, Penang

I use to live in Thailand and went to Penang many times to renew my visa. Penang is a very tiny island in Malaysia.

I have a pair of Sulawasi that I wouldn't dare free handle like that. Granted, those aren't the type that are in the temples, but as far as the Sulawasi go, mine are very eager to tag you. I think it's a contest between the two which one will get me first. I've had one strike at me once when I was moving my hand across the enclosure. Its fang got caught as it sprayed its venom across the top screen. The sticky venom sprayed about two inches out on the screen and just hung there as a reminder of its intent.

Old 09-06-2004, 05:56 PM   #5
Montychristo
Penang Temple

The snake temple is in Penang, but I don't think it is Buddhist, although it may be. The monks there were Chinese Malays. They placed a large viper around my neck and two babies, one on each of my outstreched open hands. Photos were taken that have since been lost, or the snakes may have been identified. They were very lethargic from the incense burning in the temple. The temple had dozens of vipers laying around the alter area. I think the monks made sure they were not where one might accidentally tread on one! I was told they had not had their vemon glads removed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!