Preparing for natural disasters - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
snakegetters
Preparing for natural disasters

Being right in the path of the current hurricane warning, I'm battening down the hatches and arranging to evacuate the snakes ahead of the storm if necessary. They'll be bagged and locked in heavy duty truck boxes, then moved to safety.

These hurricanes have been known to tear houses apart, which could cause all kinds of problems in a house that happens to be full of venomous snakes in cages. I hope I still have a house left standing when it all blows over, but at least my snakes will be safe and that's the important thing.

Even if you're not in the path of a hurricane, take a moment to think about your natural disaster plan. What might happen in your area, and what do you plan to do about it to keep your snakes safely confined?

Old 09-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
Vince
for the last hurricane I brought all my redfoots inside and put them in the bath tub. they weren't to happy about this, but seeing HUGE trees snapped in half if I left them out side in there pen they defiantly would of blew away. If I need to I will be doing the same thing this time. and everyone should make sure they have anough water for your self and family but dont forget about your pets! if supplys arent available they will get hungry and thirsty too!

Old 09-01-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
psilocybe
For everyone in Florida, I sincerely hope you guys make out all right. That goes double for all the hot keepers...be safe guys, and let us know what happens.

It's stuff like this that makes me happy to live in New Mexico...no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc...lol. Actually, every so often we have a tornado warning here in the state but having lived here for 18 of my 22 years, I can't recall a serious threat in this state, or at least in my part of it.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
snakegetters
I am securely bagging all the hots tonight and tomorrow, locking them in sturdy truck boxes and taking them to safety. Frances is supposed to make landfall very close to my house. I may not have a house to come back to, but the snakes will be alive and safe and that's what matters.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
Vince
I think even more important then the safty of your HOTs collection is not haveing them escape. that would be a bad situation for people comeing back to clean up , beating this hurricaine just to get tagd by a mammba or somthing. but good luck to you, hopefuly this thing wont be that bad. are you in an area were they are evactuating?

Old 09-02-2004, 12:07 AM   #6
snakegetters
They haven't ordered evacuation for my area yet, but they are suggesting it for people who are in mobile homes (which I am not). My house is solidly built, but it's an older one and may not be up to modern building code standards.

Still have not decided which direction to evacuate. Waiting for more storm advisories.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
psilocybe
I hope everything is okay for you Tanith, and of course your snakes as well

It's lucky for Florida hot keepers that there is a good network of hot keepers in the state...that way, if by some chance you were unable to keep the snakes at your house after the storm blows over, you have a number of contacts who could house them till you get stuff situated.

Again, my thoughts are with everyone in the path of the storm.

Old 09-02-2004, 03:38 PM   #8
Ken Harbart
My herps were moved into an interior hallway where they'll be a bit more shielded from broken glass and flying debris. As the whole state is essentially at risk this weekend, I'm figuring an interior hallway will be as safe as anywhere else.

I'm in the same boat as you, Tanith. My house is CBS, but it's 31 years old. I'm confident the walls will stand, but the windows and roof are another story.

I'm wrapping up the last of my loose ends here, and will most likely be making the trek up to Hinesville, GA this evening, depending on the latest and greatest from the NHC and their 5pm prediction.

Old 10-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
Mustangrde1
I just found this thread. The keepers I know are very good people and put their animals and publics safety first.

I double bagged and zip tied all my hots then placed them in rubbermaids and zip tied and taped them secure. Then placed them in a vision cage and bolted wood to it and strapped it.

All the work was luckily uneeded but sure made me feel better.

Ken you have a PM from me if it didnt go through e-mail me at Mustangrde1@aol.com.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
COBRAMAN
I helped Ricky bag all the hots at ERJ warehouse for Frances. Oddly enough, the warehouse was completely untouched by the storm, yet the surrounding buildings (made of metal) were demolished. I would have guessed a good sneeze would have brought down the reptile warehouse. Go figure!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!