Corn Snake & King Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Carl
Corn Snake & King Snake

Hello,
I want a Gray-Banded King Snake and a Corn Snake. The problem is that I don't have room for 2 tanks. So, can a Corn Snake & Gray Banded King Snake live together in the same habitat?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #2
~Just Curious~
Nope! Not safely or comfortably anyways.
That's usually my opinion for cohabitating snakes regardless, but I feel it'd be even more so in this case as both those species have been known to cannibalize in captivity and you'd be sticking two active animals in a space you admit is only large enough for one. Not good. Even if it's subtle, I'd assume they'd be stressed competing for the best basking/hiding spot and you should want your pets to be as happy as possible~
It can also make health monitoring more difficult as any diseases/parasites would spread rapidly and if you find ill-looking feces or something, you may not be able to tell which has the problem. And of course breeding season might bring it's own troubles whether you intend to cycle them or not, they just have a way of sensing those things sometimes...

I know a lot of people have been doing it for years without issues, usually with the same species, but then there's also people who only do it for a short time and experience all the problems - people who temporarily stick two same-size snakes together and then come back to find just one real fat snake.
Personally I just don't see any 'pros' in those sort of ideas for the animals, but a whole lot of possible 'cons' they may have to suffer. Just my two cents here, but why risk it?

My advice is that if you can't properly provide for an animal at the moment, you don't get it. At least not yet anyway. I'd go with just one for now, see what they're like - they're both real neat, and get the other later when you have more room. They don't need much and I'm sure they'll appreciate it!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
Hello,
I want a Gray-Banded King Snake and a Corn Snake. The problem is that I don't have room for 2 tanks. So, can a Corn Snake & Gray Banded King Snake live together in the same habitat?
Only if you want to take a chance of ending up with just a fat king snake in the tank. There is a reason why they are called "king snakes".

Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Carl
Thankyou.
I ended up getting an albino corn snake. Shes about 7in long. I forgot that "king" means canible. So I'm going to do what you said and just wait till I have engogh room for the King Snake and Corn Snake.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!