not sure if gecko is eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
cajunreptiles
not sure if gecko is eating

I just got my crested gecko thursday. im not sure if he is eating everytime i see him he is just hanging on the vines hiding. ive held his bowl up to him and he eats from that but not sure if hes getting enough. he is active when i hold him always trying to climb to the highest point.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Untaimed
It's common for crested geckos to not eat while they are adjusting to a new enviroment. Are you feeding Repashy CGD? Please keep in mind that they don't eat much so you may not notice the small amount being consumed. Try feeding out of a bottle cap, with less volume you should be able to notice it disappearing a bit better. Also, make sure you have the new guy/gal on paper towels so that you can monitor for poop, if they are pooping- they are eating. Try not to handfeed or handle him/her for another week or so, that they can settle in & adjust to their new home with as little stress as possible.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
cajunreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaimed View Post
It's common for crested geckos to not eat while they are adjusting to a new enviroment. Are you feeding Repashy CGD? Please keep in mind that they don't eat much so you may not notice the small amount being consumed. Try feeding out of a bottle cap, with less volume you should be able to notice it disappearing a bit better. Also, make sure you have the new guy/gal on paper towels so that you can monitor for poop, if they are pooping- they are eating. Try not to handfeed or handle him/her for another week or so, that they can settle in & adjust to their new home with as little stress as possible.
yeha im feeding the repashy cgd. ill put it in the bottle cap to see better. i put the food in a small bowl now but ill try the cap to see what happens. ill check for poop i know i seen some when we first got him/her but i figured that was just from previous food. when i say hand feed i mean i bring the bowl up to his face so he knows what it is.ill wait on handleing him/her anymore. thanks for the help

Old 11-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Untaimed
No problem! It's still too early to freak out about them not eating, they can easily go 2 weeks while settling in to a new home, so just provide fresh food/water & leave them be would be the best advise I can give you. A healthy crested won't starve themselves, so as long as he/she is still active & appears healthy then it's likely that you don't notice the small amount they are eating, or that they are still adjusting & too stressed to eat. Good luck with your crestie, they are fantabulous friends!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
cajunreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untaimed View Post
No problem! It's still too early to freak out about them not eating, they can easily go 2 weeks while settling in to a new home, so just provide fresh food/water & leave them be would be the best advise I can give you. A healthy crested won't starve themselves, so as long as he/she is still active & appears healthy then it's likely that you don't notice the small amount they are eating, or that they are still adjusting & too stressed to eat. Good luck with your crestie, they are fantabulous friends!
thanks for the help. they are really neat little guys cant wait to raise this one and get more later on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!