Need some advice - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
StrictlyExotics
Need some advice

Ok so... I have been called on by a relative to remove some rattlers from their property. They dont want their dogs to be bitten by them. I have no problems doing so as they also live in densely populated area as well. Would rather remove them than someone running them over.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should relocate them to. I would imagine that its going to be timber rattlers as they had me remove some the last time I was here, 10 yrs ago.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyExotics View Post
Ok so... I have been called on by a relative to remove some rattlers from their property. They dont want their dogs to be bitten by them. I have no problems doing so as they also live in densely populated area as well. Would rather remove them than someone running them over.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should relocate them to. I would imagine that its going to be timber rattlers as they had me remove some the last time I was here, 10 yrs ago.
Bag em and haul em to a nice remote location (if you have a truck, go 4x4in for a lil) and drop em off there.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyExotics View Post

Wish you were closer... Id help ya relocate them... and would have to keep at least one for the collection.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
StrictlyExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
Wish you were closer... Id help ya relocate them... and would have to keep at least one for the collection.
Kevin, if you were any closer... I would say we could make a day trip out of it More fun with help.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Tim Cole
Any farther than 1 mile is more than likely a death sentence.

Telemetry studies have shown that most relocated rattlesnakes do not fare well when relocated.

You may want to consider sending them to a legit venom lab. I can assist with that.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Rattlesnake
If you do not want to send them to a lab, It would be better to take the chance that some might survive rather than leaving them where they are and relocate them to some remote spots that you know of.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
snowgyre
Tim has the right of it. Translocating rattlesnakes is sentencing them to a slow death by starvation, stress, exposure, or predation. You won't be doing the rattlesnakes any favors by releasing them. If you don't take them to a venom lab, the ethical thing do to is to kill the snakes outright.

In general, it is also illegal to remove rattlesnakes without a permit in Oklahoma, although if they are creating a nuisance on privately owned land (as in this case), then no permit is required. For details, visit the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
StrictlyExotics
They are in fact on privately owned land with an HOA. What I did was relocate them across the road on farm land that has no animals to threaten. This way, they wouldnt get run over as well as bite another persons pet. In Oklahoma, its open season on rattlers on the roadside. At least they are not so far from what they are used to and wont be in the road anymore getting hit.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
Snakes Incorporated
Trying tom locate these animals will be time consuming.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!