Ok. here's a good one - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
jsrocket
Ok. here's a good one

I kept hearing this sound in the snake room. Not the one you usually expect.

Went up there to take a look. My poor little dusky pig has his head stuck in a little tiny hole. He was pretty upset, and biting everything in sight. I provided this shell as a hidebox. It's a coconut shell, with a little tiny hole.

He was stuck there pretty good, and I sat there a few minutes, trying to figure out how to get the poor little guy out of his quandary, without having to take a nasty hit myself.

Finally, I realized I could bust the coconut shell apart with some mechanical hedge clippers.

Win, win situation. Snake is relatively unscathed, and I am fine.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
norcal
I had the same thing happen to one of my Indigos. It was a hole cut in a plastic hide box. some damage to the snakes scales, that have healed up good after a few sheds. I do not use any hides with holes in them anymore that can potentionally have the snake get caught up in.

Glad you got him out without harming you or the snake

Old 09-11-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
GQMedic
JSRocket,

I'm glad you posted this, and it serves as a reminder to our community. A snake, if you provide it something with a hole big enough for it to notice, it will do it's best to wedge itself in there in an attempt to broaden it's horizons. Often, that hole is big enough to get part of it's body inside, but small enough to trap and kill it.

Good thinking on your part in extricating it with no harm to you or the snake as a result.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
jsrocket
Yeah, Dennis, I felt kind of stupid, because I have been keeping snakes long enough to know that.

This hole in the coconut shell was so small, I didn't think it posed a problem. I was wrong.

He got his head, and about 4" of his body through.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
GQMedic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
Yeah, Dennis, I felt kind of stupid, because I have been keeping snakes long enough to know that.

This hole in the coconut shell was so small, I didn't think it posed a problem. I was wrong.

He got his head, and about 4" of his body through.
Jim,

Nah, no reason to feel stupid. All turned out well. Again, I am glad you posted this thread, it helps to remind hot keepers (and cold keepers) of small things often unforseen. You brought a valuable lesson up and toss in a huge plus that it had a happy ending. So, there is no harm and no foul. I also would like to point out that there are many that would have made this same mistake but would not have thought to post it so others COULD learn from it, if anything, I applaud both your candor and willingness to share this.

So, a HUGE +1 for YOU in the hot keeping community.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
jsrocket
Here's a pic of one of my canebrakes.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #7
norcal
Nice!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
jsrocket
My canebrakes are the mellowest buzztails I ever kept. They don't even strike a defensive posture or buzz, even when I hook 'em.

Unlike my WDB's, who would just as soon kill you as look at you. Plus, they have the ways, means, and motivation to do it.

Disclaimer: use proper handling techniques on any venomous snake, no matter how "friendly" you think it may be.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:13 PM   #9
BallPythonGal21
Nice canebrake! I love rattlers...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!