Cupple of my copperheads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
LadyBloodRose
Cupple of my copperheads

Northern Female

Northern male
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3615045_n.jpg

Southern Female

Southern male
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...8_557953_n.jpg

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Very nice Celeste, I especially like that Southern female

Old 08-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Very nice Celeste, I especially like that Southern female
Hey, that's what I was going to say.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
LadyBloodRose
Thank you guys the southern males pic didn't come up so here i will repost it.

Hopefully I will finally get off my butt an become more active here. I have really been meaning to just seems I constantly get pulled away by things .

Here is one I forgot to post, this is my Southern X Northern intergrade female which i am hoping maybe gravid

Old 08-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
LadyBloodRose
apparently me an the imaging button are not liking each other lol

Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
I'm very interested in these, could you please tell me how you have them set up (type of caging, heat, light, etc etc)? Do you feed them live, or f/t? What is their demeanor like?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
LadyBloodRose
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
I'm very interested in these, could you please tell me how you have them set up (type of caging, heat, light, etc etc)? Do you feed them live, or f/t? What is their demeanor like?
I have kept copperheads (northern, southern, an intergrade) in a variety of diffrent ways, everything from totes in a slide rack (what you see the northern an southern in in the pics) to Locking cages (like what the intergrade is in from herpcages.com) to aquariums an normal snap lock totes/tupperware. I have also kept babies in critter keepers.
Bedding I have used news paper, paper towls, an mulch (which is my fav) and aspen.
Heat i have used UTH, an Lights. I have even at some points due to my reptile room getting a certain temp or even over it, even gone without heat. Coppers tend to be fairly tolerant of cooler temps atm my guys have a cool side of 75 an a heated basking spot of 85.
In the summer you can actualy keep them with a high end of 90 durring the day an a cool of 70 at night an in the winter if you cool them for breeding temps can be droped as low as 50-60 degrees.

Feeding I have fed live but honestly I have never had a problem getin a copperhead whether captive bred or wc to take f/t normal white mice sometimes even right off the tongs some you may have to lay it down an let them take it over night. I have even fed chicken gizzard an deer meat as well as an ocassional piece of beef an some specimine's will happily take them without hesitation - I might get some critisim for that but it was an experiment since I use all the above if I have to assist feed babies.
my adults get fed 2 mice every week, where as if i have babies they usualy get a pink or fuzzy every 3-4 days depending on if the lump has vanished or not.

Just in my experience southern coppers tend to be so much more laid back then northerns. Southerns to me tend to ride a hook a bit beter an be more relaxed when maintenance is needed. The northerns tend to be alil more agitated an wanna fly off the handle an take off. The intergrades seem to be a pleasant combination of the 2.

Coppers are pretty easy to keep imo . Hope this was helpful

Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
TheFragginDragon
Indeed it is helpful, thanks very much Celeste!

Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
LadyBloodRose
your very welcome btw just something I wanted to add recently I noticed that my coppers seemed to feel uncomfortable on your average sized hook they were more panicky to get a grip an feel comfortable.
John Zegal makes a snake hook that is actually designed for elapids that I got to try out. The head is more angular an V shaped making it a bit wider of a surface for the snake while at the same time narrowing the gap. I got one of these hooks to try out an have seen a HUGE difrence in how my snakes handle being hooked.

this is what the hook looks like an I have actually been using it alot more with many of my hots even the heavier guys like my EDB or my canebrakes. Just thought I would mention it since it is a large part of my critters care in having good tools that work well with the animals .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!