Stuck on what to put in it - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-24-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Melle
Talking Stuck on what to put in it

I have an age old problem I'm sure we've all had- empty tank syndrome. I have an empty ten gallon tank, with a UVB bulb and fixture, dome lamp, etc... any suggestions on what I should put in it? I want something that can stay in a ten gallon its whole life, since i have a few animals already waiting to outgrow their current tanks and be upgraded, and i also want something i dont already have (i have 6 leos, a beardie, a savannah, a hog island boa, a crested gecko, and a lil anole). so anyone have any suggestions? frogs, lizards, snakes, anything

Old 06-24-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Sybella
A corn snake.

Old 06-24-2004, 09:39 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Fire Bellied Toads

Old 06-25-2004, 03:37 PM   #4
Vince
baby soft shell turtle, cheap and very very cool, little sand on the bottem and a cheap underwater filter and your good to go, add some live plants(the will grow great with ur uvbulb) and some guppies and ghost shrimp , and a floating island. would make a very nice display with alot to look at.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:39 PM   #5
Vince
ps . your soft shell will out grow ur 10 gal, but not for atleast a year or 2

Old 06-25-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
Melle
Vince,
You got me excited there for a minute, lol. I was like, a turtle?? that can stay in a ten gallon forever? awesome! A turtle would be cool, or even a baby tortoise, but i would rather have something that i wont have to worry about upgrading. Thanks for the suggestion though! Maybe I will get a pacman frog or something....

Old 06-26-2004, 12:10 AM   #7
Vince
get a baby mud turtle in the same kind of set up . an adults can be housed in a 10 gal.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #8
Glenn Bartley
There is a large variety of herps you could keep in a 10 gallon tank. Turtles, lizards, snakes, newts, salamanders, frogs, toads could all be kept successfully. Some good choices than those already suggested might be:

Red Spotted Newts (up to 4 of them maybe even 5 of them)
American Toad (1 or 2 of these or a similar sized toad)
Mantella Frogs
Dart/Arrow Frogs
African Underwater Frog (the smaller variety)
Green Frog (or similar sized or smaller primarily water frog)
Spotted Salamander (or similar sized choice)
Mud Turtle or Musk Turtle (smaller variety)
Anoles (up to 2 but 1 would be better)
Small Gecko species
Rubber Boa (great sized snake for this size tank)
Sand Boa

With the exception of the Mantella and Dart/Arrow Frogs, all are fairly easy to keep. All can live their whole life, with room to spare, in a 10 gallon sized tank. There are lots of other possibilities, and lots of them are probably better choices than the all to ready to bite Pac-Man frog of which you are thinking.

Good luck,
Glenn B

Old 06-26-2004, 10:19 AM   #9
jenn_jeffery
Glenn, can you elaborate a bit more on some of the small gecko species? I too have an empty 10 gallon tank, and love geckos. Easy to care for is preferred, as I stay busy as is...

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2004, 10:30 AM   #10
Vince
pictus, fattails, leopards, daygeckos ,leaf tails. goto the pet shop and take your pic. almost all geckos can live very happy in a 10 gal.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!