Where can i drop off reptile packages with fedex - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #1
hunterjackson
Where can i drop off reptile packages with fedex

Well, I just finished my certification process. Only took about 3 weeks, not bad. My rep is not sure where I can drop off packages marked "live harmless reptiles", such as a FedEX staffed location (ie Kinkos), airport recieval, or is it just pick up at your door?

I appreciate any help
Hunter

Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
SPJ
Just schedule a pickup. They will come and get it at the time you specify. Much better than dealing with the help at Kinkos.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
hhmoore
I don't know what Kinko's policies are regarding live shipments. During mild weather, having them picked up is a viable option...but personally I prefer to drop them off at FedEx to minimize truck/transit time. To find the nearest one to you, check http://fedex.com/Dropoff/start?locale=en_US (for future reference, that can be found at fedex.com by placing the cursor over SHIP, and clicking find locations). Unclick everything except FedEx staffed, and look for the FedEx facilities that show up.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
AncientDNA
Glad to know what kind of time-frame I'm looking at for certification.
I've been meaning to get it started for a while now...

Old 06-12-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
ldydrgn
If they give you any grief at Kinkos (trust me, I've "been there, done that") have the manager call the Live Animal Desk. They will explain that, under contract, there is NO special handling required and that you had to go through rigorous package testing in order to GET the contract in the first place. Kinkos main fear is the drivers freaking out over a package that is labeled "Live Harmless Reptiles". The Live Animal Desk can e-mail the manager a statement explaining the above (yet again) so it can be taped to your package for the drivers to see. "No, the snakes cannot escape..."

Instead of standing there for an hour with your package in hand waiting for the LAD to tell them, "Really, it's ok"... I suggest you go and explain what you plan to do. Take the entire contract with you! The main problem is their computer isn't connected to the same database as an official Fed-Ex location that can pull up the contracts. Kinkos has no idea who has approval and who doesn't. This is why they need to call the LAD if they have a problem. Do not let them tell you they can't take it because it's Hazardous Materials... rofl... that one about killed me...

Old 06-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldydrgn
If they give you any grief at Kinkos (trust me, I've "been there, done that") have the manager call the Live Animal Desk. They will explain that, under contract, there is NO special handling required and that you had to go through rigorous package testing in order to GET the contract in the first place. Kinkos main fear is the drivers freaking out over a package that is labeled "Live Harmless Reptiles". The Live Animal Desk can e-mail the manager a statement explaining the above (yet again) so it can be taped to your package for the drivers to see. "No, the snakes cannot escape..."

Instead of standing there for an hour with your package in hand waiting for the LAD to tell them, "Really, it's ok"... I suggest you go and explain what you plan to do. Take the entire contract with you! The main problem is their computer isn't connected to the same database as an official Fed-Ex location that can pull up the contracts. Kinkos has no idea who has approval and who doesn't. This is why they need to call the LAD if they have a problem. Do not let them tell you they can't take it because it's Hazardous Materials... rofl... that one about killed me...
Yes, but I would do a "drill" in advance of the actual shipment day. You don’t want to be doing all that explaining with your box ready to ship. You have your rights but remember that some people freak-out at the sole proximity of reptiles. I’m not only talking about the employees at KINKO’s but also their customers. Try to avoid any unpleasant experience for everyone.

Regards.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #7
ldydrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
Yes, but I would do a "drill" in advance of the actual shipment day. You don’t want to be doing all that explaining with your box ready to ship.
Didn't I say that in the second paragraph? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith
You have your rights but remember that some people freak-out at the sole proximity of reptiles. I’m not only talking about the employees at KINKO’s but also their customers. Try to avoid any unpleasant experience for everyone.
This is true. When I did it, it was done quietly and professionally. It's always a good idea to respect the feelings of others. This is why I suggested going down, without a package, and talking to the manager first so it can be sorted out in advance and the employees notified. Then when you do take a package in you're all set. They take it, no complaint, it's all good.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
SPJ
I still say the pickup will avoid ANY problems.

I have my shipments picked up at 5pm and they are at the destination the next morning.

No need to explain anything to anyone.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
In our case we drive the packages to the last FedEx pick-up mailbox where we wait for the truck. That's their last stop on the way to the airport. We then hand deliver them to the driver at 7 pm every day. It really works well for us and the animals as the transit time is minimized.

Regards.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #10
gmherps
I'm really lucky to have a FedEx hub about 3 miles from my house. I just drop off the package before 7:30pm and it's on its way.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!