Striped racer feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
aliceinwl
Striped racer feeding

I've got a juvie striped racer (Masticophis lateralis) a little over a foot long. Is there any way to get him to take pinkis? What would work best in terms of scenting?

-Alice

Old 03-04-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
cthulhu77
It is unusual that he isn't taking live pinkies off the bat...they are very movement orientated, rather than so much scent hunters...it should take a live, squirming pinkie fast !
greg

Old 03-04-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
aliceinwl
He's a new acquisition. He's also unusually docile for a racer. I have a variety of native herps that I use for educational presentations, but due to their personality, I haven't been too keen on racers. If I can get this guy eating, I think he'd have potential.

Most of the research I've done has turned up info on feeding Masticophis flagellum (sp?). From what I gather, these guys can be a challenge to get onto pinkis and often have to be force fed or started on lizards. I was wondering if the same would hold true for M. lateralis? I've also read that a good way to get them eating is to goad them into striking the pinki, but his docile personality will work against me here.

What kind of caging would be best to start him out in? I was planning on setting up a 10 gallon for him, but I've heard of other people keeping the little guys in 5 gallons until they can get them established. Do they need overhead lighting or will a UTH alone be sufficient? Since they are visual predators, would covering the sides of his tank to prevent distractions help?

-Alice

Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM   #4
aliceinwl
I tried guppies, I don't think that he ate any, but they got his tongue flicking.

I've had him about 2 weeks now and I don't think that he'd eaten yet this season when I got him. He was starting to look a bit thin so I broke down and caught him a lizard. The response was instant.

He seems to be hunting by sight alone. He didn't flick his tongue once before attacking the lizard. It was a good sized meal so it should last him a week easily. Any ideas on how to trick him into taking a pinki if scenting fails (I kind of suspect it will since he's so visually oriented)?

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!