Help with mice and rat breeding! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
kare
One More Time

We have rats in a freedom breeder and mice in cages in the same room too. Not a problem.
On to the real puzzle....Did you disinfect the sipper tubes that the hose attaches with? I'm hoping that you replaced all the previous tubing with a food grade tubing. Some tubing used for freezer run off is not of food grade and do leech different acetates into the fluids passing through them. (can you tell I'm a technician in the biomedical research field?) The sippers should be boiled in water, soaked in a weak bleach solution, then boiling water again and several rinses. Any bacteria that developed in them would be taken care of after all that. (may seem excessive, but it really does make a difference)
If the problem does seem to be the supply from Petco, I hope you can find some other place, somewhere, to buy better quality critters!
Best of luck to you!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
aaron sullivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Amy
Did the Petco use water bottles for their rodents? I know when I switched some of my mice to an automatic waterer, I lost some. I think it was from them not learning how to use the valve. I didn't have any problems before and I haven't since.
i kind of thought this might be the problem, but would an animal die over one night? and what about the mouse that lived two weeks and then died?

petco does use water bottles, but it is almost the same concept...right?

Old 12-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #13
aaron sullivan
New News!!!

well, i went to exchange the mouse and rat that died and talked to an employee for quite awhile. he basically said they have had huge problems with respiratory infections and they were loosing several rodents at the store also.

good to know it's not me...and bad they continue to sell sick animals.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #14
kare
The mystery is solved. You need a better quality supplier. Have you contacted your local herp club? Perhaps someone there breeds mice and rats and can help set you up.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #15
tanyah625
If you need a new supplier there is a guy with an ad on KS selling live rats in Nashville, Tn. Here is the link to that ad http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=28&de=407506
Good Luck.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
aaron sullivan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kare
The mystery is solved. You need a better quality supplier. Have you contacted your local herp club? Perhaps someone there breeds mice and rats and can help set you up.

herp club? what is that? ha!

in all seriousness, it is something that needs to happen here in middle tennessee.

that opens a new can of worms, but would be a great discussion on this board.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!