USARK & Reptile Nation Save 5 of 9 species from FWS Constrictor Rule! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #51
rodneynboalich
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
Without the lobbying that was done, some of the senate or house bills might have passed..
HR669
HR2811
S373

although, those would have probably been easier to overturn than this rule change will be
ill agree that what you have said here is true. but ill also agre that would of been much easier to over turn in court i agree with that too. it mite of been easier to fight in court then lobby against

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #52
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
You can sell within your state but you cannot sell them to someone in a different state and if you move, you cannot take the animals with you.
I'm not sure that this is true concerning transporting your own animals when you move. I believe that federal law only applies to interstate COMMERCE, not the transportation of personal property in a relocation.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #53
WebSlave
BTW, I hear a lot of people making the statement that USARK is pretty much the only game in town concerning this sort of issue, but what ever happened to PIJAC? Didn't they put a dog into this fight?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #54
crotalusadamanteus
There was some rather questionable things that transpired with PIJAC. I think they lost a lot of support over it, including mine.

I just want to see some real numbers. Not total amounts donated, but total amounts spent, and for what exactly.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #55
Lair of Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I'm not sure that this is true concerning transporting your own animals when you move. I believe that federal law only applies to interstate COMMERCE, not the transportation of personal property in a relocation.
Might want to check into that idea...I remember reading somewhere in the Lacy Act that transporting across state lines are only allowed with proper doc's and permits ...personal or COMMERCE.
I am looking for it and as soon as I find it again I will post it.
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 01-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #56
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair of Dragons View Post
Might want to check into that idea...I remember reading somewhere in the Lacy Act that transporting across state lines are only allowed with proper doc's and permits ...personal or COMMERCE.
I am looking for it and as soon as I find it again I will post it.
Travis
Lair of Dragons
You may want to start with the US Constitution. The US federal government was only granted authority and jurisdiction over interstate COMMERCE. That also applies to any agency OF the federal government.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #57
Lair of Dragons
Here ya go....Big Cats (Exotics)are on the same list as the snakes (Exotics) are going on....
If I own a big cat and move to another
State, can I take this animal with me?
No. The prohibition on transport applies
to any movement of a covered big cat
across State lines, even household moves.
Only exempt individuals or entities can
move a cat from one State to another.

Link to page: http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/CWSA_Factsheet.pdf
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #58
Lair of Dragons
Here's another one with a link...
D. The Lacey Act

The Lacey Act19 was passed in 1900 to address the growing concern about interstate profiteering in illegally taken wild animals used primarily for food. It was amended in the 1930s and 1940s, and again in 1981. The Lacey Act makes it illegal to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire or purchase fish, reptiles, mammals, birds, or plants that were taken, possessed, transported or sold in violation of a federal law or treaty, a state law, or a tribal law. Criminal and civil penalties are provided for violations of the Act. Fines for misdemeanor violations are set at a maximum of $100,000 for individuals and $200,000 for organizations. Maximum fines for felonies are presently $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for organizations.

In essence, the Lacey Act allows the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to prosecute persons in possession of an animal illegally obtained in a foreign country or another state. Captive wild animals benefit from the Lacey Act because animals that were taken illegally in their county, territory, or state may not be imported, exported, possessed or traded legally in the U.S. In fact, in 2002, at least 17 individuals were prosecuted under the Lacey Act for selling and killing endangered leopards, tigers, and other cats, selling their pelts to collectors, and the meat of the animals to a butcher. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service had been investigating this matter for 5 years. It stretched across 20 states from Florida to Michigan, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Illinois and ended in at least 17 dead animals.20

While the Lacey Act does work to help to curb the illegal transportation of captive wild animals across state lines, it does nothing about the illegal movement of animals within a state. Therefore, if an animal is bred and born illegally in a state, then sold and bought by residents of that state, the Lacey Act does nothing to protect that animal.

Link: http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php...1&p=179&page=5
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Old 01-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #59
crotalusadamanteus
Since when has our federal government followed the Constitution? 100 years ago, maybe more?

I can see them enforcing this, as well as getting away with it.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #60
Lair of Dragons
Heres another one...who remembers this story
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ion/50408584/1
Travis
Lair of Dragons

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!