Which tongs are your favorite? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
snakegetters
Which tongs are your favorite?

My overview is here: http://www.snakegetters.com/equip/tongs.html

What's your opinion? Which tongs do you prefer?

I like the Gentle Giants, but have had to modify the grip on all of mine to avoid "snake slippage". I used hot glue to roughen up the surface, which helps immensely.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
Gregg M
I am not fond of grabbers at all...... But with what I work with I really dont have a need for them.....

Old 07-03-2004, 03:03 AM   #3
Tom
I like the M1 tongs from Midwest. Excellent on large pit vipers and slippery coachwhips as well.

Tom

Old 07-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
snakegetters
I don't pick a snake up with tongs as a rule; the biomechanics of that kind of move are not very healthy for snakes. I do use tongs for brief immobilization to assist in head-tubing, to deliver a fast injection to a patient who would be stressed by any more complete restraint, and as a "come along" drag across the floor where the animal is moved around but not dangled in the air.

I also use tongs in the field because some snakes are pretty slippery or they get into situations where they can't be caught on a hook. Again I try to avoid lifting the animals completely off the ground at any time, and I keep the restraint as brief as possible. For field use I like the ultra short Gentle Giants or extremely well padded Pilstrom or Whitco tongs because they are lighter and more maneuverable. I just won't use those kinds of tongs without padding them out thoroughly with foam rubber.

The Pilstrom tongs have this indented scissorlike grip that is a snake chiropracter's nightmare. I don't think they are fit for use on live animals without both jaws being well wrapped in foam padding so that you don't get the "spine indent" effect that can crush a snake. They are pretty good unpadded on things like messy waterbowls and cage furniture.

Old 07-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #5
Seamus Haley
Tanith, you do realize that Pilstrom refers to the method of control, right? The series of miniature pulleys which convert your squeezing the handle into the jaws of the tongs closing... The shape of the actual jaws varys depending on who made the tongs. Heck, Gentle Giants are really just pilstroms, with the operating wire inside the length between the handle and jaws as opposed to on the outside (as many older models are).

With that being the case, any set of pilstroms are the ones I'd use if I had to and the ones I own (that sit collecting dust next to pinning sticks which I bought because... well, I like "stuff" It's a guy thing), while they're capable of exerting enough pressure to smash the skeleton of just about any snake you could name, they're also one of the few designs that directly translates force on the handles into pressure in the jaws without losing some of it at either side, the progression is even and regular and, in this manner, I feel they have a value to individuals who aren't going to freak out, slip and destroy things.

Old 07-04-2004, 07:14 AM   #6
bcfos
Midwest

The gentel giant tongs are my favorite.

A little hint about the handles instead of hot glue I used a dip that you use to dip tools in that makes a rubbery surface.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:45 PM   #7
Mustangrde1
Any that are long enough to reach in a cage and remove dead prey that has not been ate. As for handling of snakes thats what my hooks are for.

Old 08-31-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
Alabamafan2
Tongs?

I never use them that much but I have an old set of Whitneys and that is the only tongs I would ever think of using.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #9
SerpenXotics
M1 by midwest

I have to say I love my midwest M1 tongs but a really don't use them to handle snakes I use them to remove hides and dead rodents LOL I occasionally use them to handle but rarly use the actual tong more than just a hook with a hook strike gaurd
LOL
Joe Lesh

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!