Breathing problems - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
nukeaggie
Breathing problems

My Hog Island Boa has started making noises breathing. He blows out a bit of air as well when i'm holding him. I can also see his body (lungs) expanding and collasping. He also prompts his head up. There is no mocus and he doesn't open his mouth to breath. I have increase the temp in his cage and removed his water. How long should I wait to take him to the vet to get anitbiotics? Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
RJK890
A.s.a.p

What kind of housing does he have, what substrate do you use, and what is the temp. and humidity readings in the enclosure? These answers will assist anyone who may have advice for you.
I am not experienced with respitory problems(Thank You Jesus!) but would not hesitate to get your animal to a Qualified Vet.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
Metachrosis
We slow cook them on news paper sub.for 2 weeks @ 90+ ambiant,provide water for drinking.Slow to no recovery then hit a local Vet for a short run on meds.
Others prefer to run their kids to the Doc at the slightest sniffle ....
Then again we understand BCI arent tropical animals and never allow common husbandry standards in our collection.
MAX Temps Dureing Texas summer months never exceed 90*
Humidity levels never exceed 65-70% year round.
Results,
Strong feeders
Steady slow growth
Complete sheds
Care-free interaction(no strikes,no hiss)which means their very content liveing here

Meds should be a last resort instead of a first defense.

M/

Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
nukeaggie
I use naturebark for sub. Amb temp was 80-82 with 60% hum before breathing problems. I have since added another heat source so temp is 90-92 and I have removed his water but humidity is still 50%. I will replace bark with newspaper tomorrow and add a small bowl for drinking. Should I try to feed him, it has been one week since his last meal?

Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #5
Metachrosis
Its ok to feed if theyll take it?
With higher temps involved the feeding response stays engaged,try something abit smaller then normal.
Just watch the temps so they dont spike dureing daytime hours,its a stress event you dont want to experience.

M/

Old 02-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
nukeaggie
Thanks for all the help. No more noisy breathing and no more visible labored breathing. I tried to feed him last nite but he didn't take. Does any one know how long a frozen rat is good for after its thawed? and can the thawed rat be put in the frig for a day and attempted again? How many times can a rat/mouse be brought up to room temp and then placed in the frig?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeaggie
Thanks for all the help. No more noisy breathing and no more visible labored breathing. I tried to feed him last nite but he didn't take. Does any one know how long a frozen rat is good for after its thawed? and can the thawed rat be put in the frig for a day and attempted again? How many times can a rat/mouse be brought up to room temp and then placed in the frig?

Ive frozen and thawed THEN refreeze to feed for another day before. But no more than two freezings in my book. If he wont take P/K, F/T, try a live mouse but use Tongs to hold the mouse by the tail, so that you wont have to worry about Bites from a scared animal ( and a hungry snake :P ) Good luck!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!