Identifying a morph - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
robert7107
Identifying a morph

So iam planning on going to a reptile show next weekend and I have a small list of what iam interested in but my concern is a couple morphs I am not sure what too really look for and I have gone on world of ball pythons site and nothing..

Sparks
Spectors

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #2
Big Borg Reptiles
Kind of hard to know what you're looking for unless you're really good with morphs or very familiar with these two in particular. Specters are usually a little lighter in color with more striping pattern and not as much blushing as the other yellowbelly complex stuff, sparks usually have more blushing on the top than the sides compared to the other yb complex stuff.

I don't have any sparks left but I'll go get a couple pics of some specters for you when I have a chance.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #3
Pasodama
You will be hard pressed to find a site that will give you a description of all (or even many) Ball Python morphs. Plus, most only have dorsal, or side, shots posted (sometimes, but not always both) without giving any of the belly.

Here is one video for Spark:
https://youtu.be/PkGPK8aEB8o
Specters/Spectors also have that Yellowbelly complex look, to them. Coloration, a head stamp, etc. Although not as much blushing and the belly is not exactly like that of a YB ... nor is it the same as that of a normal.
Keep in mind that there can be some variability with any morph. While some can be described, as having "this or that", there will be others, of the same morph, that do not follow the same exact description.

Either, of these two morphs, can look like normals to the "untrained".
For Sparks, &/or Specters/Spectors, it is best to go to a breeder known to work with these morphs and who have a fair amount of experience with them.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Big Borg Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post

Either, of these two morphs, can look like normals to the "untrained".
For Sparks, &/or Specters/Spectors, it is best to go to a breeder known to work with these morphs and who have a fair amount of experience with them.

I meant to add this to my response. If you're not super familiar with them you could easily mistake a normal for one or vice versa. I work with a lot of super stripe stuff and I still wouldn't be able to randomly pick out a specter unless I knew the pairing or it was a stellar example.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Big Borg Reptiles
I would consider this girl a nice example of a specter. She's lighter colored than most normals and has a lot of dorsal striping. She has nowhere near the sort of blushing you'd see on a yellowbelly, so differentiating between those two is simple.

Honestly, your best bet is finding someone who you know is trustworthy.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!