are vapors from wood stain bad for reptiles? EMERGENCY!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Grimaldi123
are vapors from wood stain bad for reptiles? EMERGENCY!!

heres my question... are the vapors from wood stain bad for my snake? i custom built an enclosure that is wood with a glass front. i stained the enclosure roughly a week ago and put my snake in the cage last night. the stain was minwax red mahogany which is oil based. i then put 2 coats of polyurethane to seal the wood. this has all been dry for days but i still notice there is quite a potent smell from the stain/poly. the snake doesn't seem bothered by it at all but i am concerned. please get back to me asap so i know if i should pull my snake from this cage and address this.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
kmarsh
I am no vet but from what I have heard and read it is best not to put them in anything that has vapors. They have small lungs and if you can smell it, it probably would be safer not to have them in it till the vapors are gone. Having become more aware of my lungs, I wouldn't take the chance because I have heard so much about how vapors and particles can do so much damage in lungs that you may not notice right away but could be doing alot more damage than you know. Just my opinion.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Helenthereef
Once the polyurethane is set it should be fine, but I think that I also would wait until all detectable smells were gone.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
Thee Animal
The stain will outgas for weeks if not months.Not on the label but I know that even if you cant smell it it is still outgassing.I recomend after you stop smelling it ,than wait a month.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!