Any experiences with Repta Aid food supplements? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Helenthereef
Any experiences with Repta Aid food supplements?

I'm thinking of using Repta Aid Insectivore / carnivore emergency aid on a sick / non-feeding / dehydrated Fiji Boa. (see thread http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...058#post845058)

I've searched it and found one negative thread from 2005 (eventual death by liver or kidney failure). Anyone else had an experiences good or bad with this product, and /or any advice as to optimal concentration / frequency of use?

Here are pics of product. Many thanks for any comments.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
HyderHouseHerps
not so sure about all those carbs, and the protein and fat looks sort of low. I would go with a higher quality product such as oxbow carnivore care or emeraid carnivore if at all possible.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Helenthereef
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the comments re the carb/protein balance. Unfortunately I'm in a remote location and this is all I have.

I'm using it very sparingly (weekly or bi weekly instead of daily), in a more dilute form than indicated on the instructions, as a supplement to occasionally force-feeding small prey animals, rather than a complete food substitute, so I hope this will balance the food value.

If I EVER get this stubborn non-feeding snake to eat voluntarily I'm giving it up immediately, (it does say that it is an emergency supplement) but it's good to have something to fall back on.

Cheers

Old 01-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
HyderHouseHerps
Yea I thought about that lack of availability in Fiji a possiblity. The good stuff is hard enough to find in the states!

Old 05-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Melinda
I have used it on a nonfeeding ball python. I mixed a small dose with chicken baby food and water. Tube fed to the ball and after a few feedings, she started feeding on her own.

I have also used it on nonfeeding sickly bearded dragons with good results.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Helenthereef
Thanks Melinda.

In the end I only used it twice: When I mixed it in the concentration specified in the instructions it was more of a paste than a liquid, and the boa tried to refuse it and then regurgitated it immediately.

When I thinned it more it was accepted, along with a force-fed animal, but I think it may have been more valuable as rehydration than anything else.

However, the snake is now eating, so something worked, and who am I to say it was not the Repta Aid?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
Melinda
good to hear it's eating!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!