Doing some work with a varanid - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
snakelover1995
Doing some work with a varanid

I have an Asian water monitor named Puppy. He's 37" long and about 1 kilo. Anyways, I've been doing various experiments regarding his intelligence, and so far I have seen a lot of really cool things from him. There are so many examples that I won't list them here, but the problem is that I only have one (It sounds spoiled, but you'll see where I'm going with this). As varanid keepers probably know, monitors are like potato chips - you can't just have one!

The same applies to a study on intelligence. If one person observes a behavior in one individual, it doesn't necessarily have any significance. However, if multiple people observe a similar behavior in multiple individuals, it has more 'ground,' so to speak. I'm just wondering if anyone would like to try some of the experiments I have done (none of them involve any intricate procedures or expensive equipment) to see if they observe the same or similar results/behaviors. I would also like to see if anyone else has observed certain behaviors that I've seen.

Sadly, as a senior in high school, I do not have the resources to acquire more monitor lizards, nor do I have the parental permission for any more reptiles at the moment. However, I figure that if I can collect data from multiple varanids and their keepers, it might give me a stronger basis for any conclusions I try to make.

Any helpers?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!