New addition! Meet Helios: - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
wvaherp
New addition! Meet Helios:

Just received the latest addition to our little menagerie of a household, a motley sunglow I bought from xoboas through an ad here on fauna. He's a gorgeous little guy and of course photos do him no justice (do they ever??). Even after his ride up from southeastern VA he didn't seem at all stressed or reserved. He was calm and curious straight out of the box! He's nice and comfy now in his quarantine setup. I can't wait to watch him grow and see how he turns out as an adult!

Anyways, here's my addition to the eye candy collection on here for now:

Sent via an android carrier pigeon using the robotic pony express.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
bcr229
Nice pick up there! That's a very pretty little boa.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #3
wvaherp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Nice pick up there! That's a very pretty little boa.
Thanks!

I was only really wanting a nice quality lipstick line or possibly coral sunglow, but after looking at how most of the motley sunglows seem to color up, I decided to spend the extra money and get one of them instead. The extra codominant gene involved just makes him a better potential candidate for producing neat combos down the road, in my opinion.

Now I'm really hoping those questionable hets I picked up last year prove out for at least blood. I'm thinking a motley red dragon would be quite the combo!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:45 PM   #4
Randall Turner
Great little new addition. Congrats, it's a great feeling getting a new animal to work with.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 AM   #5
richardhind1972
Great little pick up, I do love a sunglow motley and actually you get two co Dom with your Hypo and motley and one recessive with your albino so allways good outcome from any pairing,

Remember you need to get blood into your Sunglow motley to get red dragon motley’s, as its recessive,
I’ve just paid a deposit down for a pair of hypo 100%het Kahl albino and 100% het blood so hopefully should get some red dragons and sun dragons myself in a few years , quite excited

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2018, 06:05 AM   #6
wvaherp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
Great little new addition. Congrats, it's a great feeling getting a new animal to work with.
Thanks! It is indeed. He brings me up to 4 bci. Next the wife wants us to get a female leucistic Columbian rainbow that we can raise up and possibly breed with my 12 year old male. He's been throwing the occasional sperm plug and acting restless lately. Though I may override that for a male Brazilian to pair up with my female. She should be ready to breed this fall.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
wvaherp
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
Great little pick up, I do love a sunglow motley and actually you get two co Dom with your Hypo and motley and one recessive with your albino so allways good outcome from any pairing,

Remember you need to get blood into your Sunglow motley to get red dragon motley’s, as its recessive,
I’ve just paid a deposit down for a pair of hypo 100%het Kahl albino and 100% het blood so hopefully should get some red dragons and sun dragons myself in a few years , quite excited

Thanks! That's what I meant by "extra codominant" though. Even if I pair him to my hypo female, my understanding is the behavior of the motley gene along with both being hypo is that none of the offspring would be normal and of course they would all be guaranteed het for albino.

My hope is that I end up with either a blood or a pewter from my hets to pair the new sunglow to so I can at least produce a litter 100% hets for sun dragons, red dragons, and if I'm lucky, maybe even bloody type 2 snows, all with the motley gene scattered about in there.

Sounds like you've got a nice route to sun dragons lined up yourself!

Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
richardhind1972
You may get some normals unless one of them is a super , dontou know what the parent was to him, if they was both hypo then there is a chance that he is super and there wouldn’t be any normals and all definitely 100% het albino

The red and sun dragons are just so cool arnt they
I’m quite excited actually, I’m thinking of putting the male to my hypo img as the femal and male should be mature at the same time and at least get some 66% gets for blood and albino then on if them could go to the female and make some img sun/red dragons
I will post some pics when I got them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
wvaherp
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
You may get some normals unless one of them is a super , dontou know what the parent was to him, if they was both hypo then there is a chance that he is super and there wouldn’t be any normals and all definitely 100% het albino

The red and sun dragons are just so cool arnt they
I’m quite excited actually, I’m thinking of putting the male to my hypo img as the femal and male should be mature at the same time and at least get some 66% gets for blood and albino then on if them could go to the female and make some img sun/red dragons
I will post some pics when I got them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From what I've read/heard from several sources now (not saying they're necessarily correct, but they are numerous), the Colombian motley gene, which appears to be what this guy carries, interacts with the hypo gene in a manner where a parent carrying both will pass on one gene or the other but never both. This would mean that breeding him with my hypo (bar any unknown recessives or her being a super hypo) the breakdown would be a mix of hypo motleys, motleys, hypos, and super hypos that would all be 100% het for kahl albino. If that info is indeed correct, that would mean that I could breed him back to one of his hypo offspring and end up with relatively the same odds except for 50% of them being visual albinos (meaning I'd have several albino motleys, sunglows, and motley sunglows).

Now I could be wrong and/or mislead by what I have found in my research on this, but if not, I do quite like the possible outcomes from simply breeding for some nice hets.

I like the sounds of those img red dragons. Not sure if I've even heard of that combo being successfully produced yet, so it's hard to tell how they'd end up as adults. Seems like a neat little project to me!

Old 02-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
richardhind1972
That’s right on the outcome you would be much better off with the female being het for albino that way you would get an amazing mixture of , Hypo motley, motley, albino motley sunglow motley, albino,sunglow and all the non visual albino being 100% het for albino, so would be an amazing litter of boas
I’m not sure if the img bloods have been made yet , I thought Tom Burke was doing some I know he has some amazing red and sun dragons

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!