Was scammed $3,000 using PayPal! - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
hhmoore
In a way, I see Mark's point - PayPal ruled against the claim initially because it didn't meet their criteria. They took the money because the buyer's credit card company reversed the charge, and PayPal wasn't inclined to eat the loss.

To the OP. What sort of transaction was this? (eBay, private sale, website, etc)
Was it a verified account? Did you ship to the address on the account, or to one specified in communication with the buyer? Did you receive notice that the bank was investigating the chargeback? If so, did you send your information in a timely manner? (the deadline is often short - I've received letters with a posted response deadline of 5pm that day).

Old 08-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile Frenzy View Post
Idk thats why I asked the question... I guess there is no way for him to get his cash back?
I'm wondering if it is within the appeal time frame.
I think verifying the signature, or verifying that it was fake, might be an important appeal point.
Of course, first we would have to know if the item was eligible for Ebay buyer protection.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 PM   #13
hhmoore
He was the seller; but if it wasn't an eBay transaction, PayPal's level of support decreases significantly.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Reptile Frenzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I'm wondering if it is within the appeal time frame.
I think verifying the signature, or verifying that it was fake, might be an important appeal point.
Of course, first we would have to know if the item was eligible for Ebay buyer protection.
Would ebay buyer protection work if it is under paypal? I know there are owned by the same people but arent they operated as 2 different companies?

Old 08-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Lucille
If Ebay is not involved, it is not called Ebay Buyer protection but there are eligible and ineligible transactions. In my opinion, knowing the Paypal rules and timelines are critical for success.
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/u...ale.x=en_US#13

Old 08-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
Reptile Frenzy
I agree knowing the terms and conditions of paypal will further the ability to have things go in ones favor...

Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #17
BoBlueSleeves
It wasn't an eBay item, but the buyer was sent a PayPal invoice with item details and how there would be no refunds, and how a signature confirmation would be required at the time of delivery. Both he and I are/were verified members. Remember, PayPal once ruled in my favor. So, the buyer went directly to his bank. PayPal asked me to send evidence so that they can submit it to the buyer's bank on my behalf. About a week later, PayPal sent me a notice saying that their bank ruled in their favor. I asked them to appeal it, called them several times, but pretty much told me that the bank's ruling is final. I asked how, if they even ruled in my favor, they can allow the bank to rule the opposite? I also asked what evidence there was that the signature was forged, but they told me that that was between the bank and buyer, and that they had no way of knowing what went on between those two parties. I wouldn't be surprised if the bank decided to pay PayPal to rule in favor of their customer. I didn't lose any actual money, just the item worth money, so there's really no way for me file a claim with my bank. I don't even know where my item ended up, except the town and zip that the tracking info is telling me, plus whoever picked it up's signature. I can't file anything with the post office because they did their job.

Honestly, it's going to end up costing much more than $3,000 to try to fight this myself. I can't even file a police report because it's a case of my word against his, and his bank already supposedly looked at the evidence and ruled in his favor.

Had I used PopMoney, his bank would have had to deal directly with my bank, with no unrelated, removed, third party like PayPal being the middle man messenger.

Furthermore, I think it's crap that you essentially can't use eBay without using PayPal. Also, stubhub is owned by eBay.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBlueSleeves View Post
PayPal asked me to send evidence so that they can submit it to the buyer's bank on my behalf.
What evidence did you send? Did you do anything about verifying the signature?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #19
BoBlueSleeves
I provided the USPS tracking number and an image that USPS sent me of the signature. As a seller, when was the last time you requested your buyer to provide you with a copy of their signature before hand, so that you can compare it to make sure that it's not being forged at the time of delivery? PayPal's protection policy states that for items over $250, signature confirmation is required. In an instance like this, where the buyer is claiming that somebody forged his signature, he is responsible for proving evidence of that on his end. He should be responsible for supplying the signature on his license or whatever to the signature given to USPS. He may have for the PayPal claim, but I wouldn't know. And that's the whole point of this, is that there's no way to know what type of information the buyer submitted, and which information was actually sent along to the bank. Can you really trust PayPal, a company out for their own profit, to actually have done everything they could for you, in an honest manner? After all, both buyer and seller are their customers. Can you be sure that they submitted all the info? Or in a timely manner? Nobody would ever know if they hadn't, because that info is never released to anyone. I even spoke to the USPS driver who delivered the item, and he guaranteed me that he delivered it to the correct address, and had the resident of the home sign for the package. If there are other people living in the house that forged his signature to sign for it, that's not really my problem. And yes, I did ask him to send me a copy of his signature as it appears on his license. He told me that he doesn't owe it to me to share that personal info, and that it's only information that he should have to submit to PayPal or to his bank. If he's truly claiming that his signature was forged, why wouldn't he just show me it. Also, there's nothing anywhere that says that the intended recipient has to be the only person at that residence to sign for it. It doesn't say no housemates or family members. If you live at the address, you can sign for it. They don't check your ID to make sure you're the intended recipient when you sign for it.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #20
Lucille
It does sound as if you did everything you are supposed to do and it is frustrating that Paypal is not able to share more of what happened.
Could you call and ask for a supervisor, and just ask for more details, and see if they respond?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!