strange behavior when trying to feed - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
aaronhome27
Quote:
Originally Posted by LampropeltisCollector View Post
Hello,

Sometimes hognose just dont feed consistently. Do not stress it out by constantly offering it the food. Sometimes some of my hognose will do that, if they don't eat, then they wont be offered food till 3 days later. I have all species of true hognose, and I've seen it from Westerns and Southerns the most. Just make sure you dont stress the snake. Sometimes getting them live food triggers them as well, since hognose seem to be attracted to movement.

-Jordan

I am by no means any type of expert and just adding my .02 here from what I have seen and read about. I have a male that does exactly what you are saying. When he doesn't want to eat and you put food in he gets a bit grouchy. He is generally an excellent feeder and will strike from several inches away. When he is not interested in feeding he just hisses and false strikes. I just leave him be and move on to the next and wait till the next feeding date to try again. He does this every couple weeks and will skip one feeding. He holds his weight well and is very healthy. I personally wouldn't worry unless he really started losing a lot of weight or showed sign's of being sick.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #12
Kate269
feeding

This sounds just like what is going on. He has fed since but now when I tried to feed both of them neither one would eat. They are making me crazy. I am going to offer food again today. I did not realize just what picky eaters hognose snakes were. I will try to relax and not get worried if they don't eat on what I thinks there schedule should be. Thanks for the info. It was right on.

Kathy

Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
ozz465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate269 View Post
This sounds just like what is going on. He has fed since but now when I tried to feed both of them neither one would eat. They are making me crazy. I am going to offer food again today. I did not realize just what picky eaters hognose snakes were. I will try to relax and not get worried if they don't eat on what I thinks there schedule should be. Thanks for the info. It was right on.

Kathy
Do not try to feed often ,just wait a bit and try , i give mine a week at min and offer food, the stress of constant hassle is a concern as well.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Kate269
strange feeding

HI, Thank you for your advise. It does seem to be working out that way.

Kathy

Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
trrogers
My male gets territorial in his house I just put the prey item in his hid and he eats it when I leave also we feed at night that may help them feel more secure.

Trish

Old 09-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
Austin-12
I've noticed the same thing, feeding at night and in their hide. Using consistent temp of 75-83 ambient, uth after feeding for a few days. Works great!

Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Kate269
still not eating

Feeding at night time, thats interesting. I did not think of that because they are diurnal(hope I spelled that right). I will try that, but first I am going to try scenting. He comes out all the time and travels all over his cage. It makes me think he is hunting but he is not interested when I put in the mouse. Not live, frozen thawed this is what he has been eating forever. I would be dead by now if I haven't eaten in over a month. Can you tell he is making me crazy.

Kate

Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Austin-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate269 View Post
Feeding at night time, thats interesting. I did not think of that because they are diurnal(hope I spelled that right). I will try that, but first I am going to try scenting. He comes out all the time and travels all over his cage. It makes me think he is hunting but he is not interested when I put in the mouse. Not live, frozen thawed this is what he has been eating forever. I would be dead by now if I haven't eaten in over a month. Can you tell he is making me crazy.

Kate
Just checking in on ya Kate, did he eat for you yet?

I have a problem child somewhat also, mine wont eat for 7 to 10 days, but then will eat after a max of 10. I'm trying different things with her....I've had success with waking her up and dangling a pink in front her....but only after 6 days so far. This is around midnight too. During the day she just likes to stay covered up.

Her sister is completely different, she's an explorer and likes to roost near the top of her inclosure.....she's a little cobra when I open it up...it's great!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!