Holy Crap - Someone Died - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
SPJ
Holy Crap - Someone Died

Ben Siegel had a contest this weekend at his store where the person who ate the most roaches won an ivory BP. Looks like the winner died shortly afterwards. Really sad.

From Ben's facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/reptiles...98261926864703

Quote:
To All of Our Valued BSR Customers,

Thank you for participating in our Midnight Madness experience. Many of you have reached out to ask about the details surrounding Eddie Archbold's passing the night of the Midnight Madness sale, but at this point we are not aware of any specific details. All we know is that sadly he has passed on. Please respect the privacy of the family as they try to determine what happened. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Eddie's family in this terrible time. Although we just met Eddie the night of the sale, we all liked him right away. All of us here at Ben Siegel Reptiles are sad that we will not get to know Eddie better, for in the short time we knew him, he was very well liked by all.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
kiwitwist
Very sad

I was in attendance that night. It was a really fun event, and Eddie made it all the more entertaining for those who were watching and cheering him on. It's tragic. May he rest in peace.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
KNOBTAIL
What is going to happen to Ben Siegel's case

He will become liable, the store as well. the extent to Bens liability will depend on what kind of liability insurance he had at the time of the incident. I dont know if Ben is incorporated or just a sole owner with his wife.

Only one person got sick from all reports , he collapsed and died. Which would leave me believe that he was not medically fit to participate . More than likely the toxocolgy report will show some kind of allergic reaction of sorts after digesting the roaches... Or some poison associated with the one of the insects... We will have to wait and see.

Without seeing the waiver that Ben mentioned on TV more than likely no mention of a warning about a possible danger if they were unfit to participate ( medically fit )

the mere fact that only one death occurred points to several unknown factors. Maybe he ate a poisoned roach, maybe he ate roaches no one else ate, maybe he had a reaction from earlier medications, maybe he had a weak heart... The toxocology report may not be as conclusive as we would like it to be, , but Ben will become liabile because death did occur, secondly, this roach contest was nothing more than a circus arena . A method for advertising, and not very well though out.

This poor soul who died probably had no idea of the severity of the consequences had he realized the potential dangers from infested roaches themselves or bodily reactions if in fact it turns out that the M.E. report leans in that direction.. The liability will be enormous. I serioulsly doubt that Ben can withstand a settlement on a wrongful death suit.

All of the above relate to a safety issue that I personally believe was never brought to the attention of anyone including those eating the insects. See the video. The crowd was egging the participants to eat as much as they could within a given period of time... When you see Archibald after the contest, you get the feeling that something already was wrong.

In purusing a variety of articles I one in particular, caught my eye. Here is a synopsis of the article:

If this turns out to be a chemical poisoning case, the fact that Archbold signed a waiver will be meaningless. I am sure he never waived the danger of consuming poison.

If this is an allergic reaction case, ultimate liability may hinge on the extent of the warnings on the waiver. Did the reptile shop warn that eating roaches and worms could cause a severe allergic reaction that may result in death?

Even so, they still were speaking out of both sides of their mouths. It is disengenuous to host a "captive bred, sterile bug" eating contest while also warning people that they may die.

With regard to the manager. I dont know how he fits into the scheme of tihings, but I do know that he will have to have some representation during a depositon hearing to determine the actual movement of the roaches and other insects used in the contest, etc...

Why bring this up ? I am in the food end of the business. This is not good for the industry as we have enough problems without these circus added attractions that does no good for anyone... My guess is that in the end, Ben, and his wife or the business or both more than likely will go bankrupt to avoid seizures of there monies whether its in his home asset, cars, bank accounts, etc... He needs protection. In this case because of the amount of the suit, it will become federal... This is only my opinion on this matter. But I think more than likely it will turn out this way unless Ben has some great liability to cover assets.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Lucille
Jerry, I understand that you probably want to get attention away from the two BOI threads with your name on them, but in my opinion this is a poor way to do it.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
KNOBTAIL
Lucille

Nothng underhanded here. This has nothing to do with the BOI, nor any complaint agaiinst Ben or anyone else. I felt that under this forum I would be more comfortable in providing an opinion thats it... Dont make an issue out of a non issue... I have every right to express an opinion without getting slammed over a skink... This is a problem that will affect every food breeder in the country..

The last thing we need is the Dept of Agriculture getting involved in our facilitues.... Stop fermenting a flame... You are just looking to cause or continue a dead issue at this point on the BOI... Everything that could be said, has already been done so..... Give it a break and leave me alone...

Old 10-14-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOBTAIL View Post
Nothng underhanded here. This has nothing to do with the BOI, nor any complaint agaiinst Ben or anyone else. .
Pants on fire.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Bill T
Dementia is a terrible thing.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
Fangthane
That degree of pettiness, in and of itself, is fairly flabbergasting. However, it's not too much of a surprise, when you consider the source. Not terribly difficult to understand why certain vindictive individuals would find such glee in the idea that a peer could possibly stand to lose his business and livelihood. At least, not when viewed in light of other recent activities.

If and when the day comes that the tables are turned on someone who'd wish to capitalize on another's misfortune, when they may need to cut a check to cover their own settlement losses, I wonder if that signature will be scribed in letters of raised gilt, or a more humble blue ink.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Get Sum
Quote:
Nothng underhanded here. I felt that under this forum I would be more comfortable in providing an opinion thats it... I have every right to express an opinion without getting slammed over a skink... This is a problem that will affect every food breeder in the country..
Give it a break and leave me alone...
Jerry, If you really want people to leave you alone... You need to unplug your computer, More Taunting I can clearly see. You need some serious help! You know nothing of what you just posted. What, have you been brainstorming different scenarios in your little head and decided to publicly post your opinions. Opinions are like azzholes, we all have one.

Since you shared yours, I'll share mine: Ben and his staff hosted a bug eating contest, there were 30 individuals that participated, none of which got sick. Mr. Archbold had a freak accident and unfortunately passed away. We are all deeply saddened from such a tragic event. What if the COD determines that he aspirated on his own vomit which would have hindered the ability to breathe...Would that be Ben and his staffs fault? Tragic Freak Accidents unfortunatly happen all the time.

You claim that Ben may lose his business, his house, his cars and other assets. Do you know Ben personally well enough to know that his home and invested assets are not listed in a Trust? Why do you think doctors and surgeons can operate their business without the high cost of malpractice insurance? If their estate is titled correctly, they are protected 100%!! I know this, it is what I do.

Not to be immature or disrespect my elders but: You are a sad, sad man Jerry. How do you sleep well at night. I hope you don't have children of your own because I'm sure that they would certainly be very ashamed of your actions here.

You have already lost the battle Jerry, These additional post are only hurting you and your checkbook in the near future!

Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
meowmeowkazoo
Quote:
Nothng underhanded here. This has nothing to do with the BOI, nor any complaint agaiinst Ben or anyone else. I felt that under this forum I would be more comfortable in providing an opinion thats it... Dont make an issue out of a non issue... I have every right to express an opinion without getting slammed over a skink... This is a problem that will affect every food breeder in the country..

The last thing we need is the Dept of Agriculture getting involved in our facilitues.... Stop fermenting a flame... You are just looking to cause or continue a dead issue at this point on the BOI... Everything that could be said, has already been done so..... Give it a break and leave me alone...
Jerry, we're not stupid.

Even a child could see through your petty, utterly transparent lies.

Do yourself a favor and try to act like an adult. Stop slandering Ben and trying to direct attention away from yourself.

If you want people to leave you alone, man up and pay Ben the $900 you owe him. Although at this point, I hope he gets far, far more from you in court.

With regards to this tragedy, my heart breaks for the family members that have been left behind after Eddie's death. I know that many members of the herp community have been contributing to a college fund for his two daughters. There are so many good people in this hobby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!