Bad Guy Reptile Addicts / Fred Kick - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #51
pakinjak
There was never any SOLID credit offered, just "bring it to the next show and depending on what shape it's in may offer you something". Of course, the snake was in sucky shape, otherwise the whole situation never would have arisen. It's just another way to not do anything about the problem.

Also, I find it funny that he's acting like he knows this snake personally. She was in great shape when you got her... I've seen Reptile Addicts for years at two different shows and I doubt Kick knows anything at all about that particular snake.

A piece of advice for those new to shows- if a vendor has 50 different species on their table, look as you're walking by, but don't buy from them. Think about it... nobody is going to breed that many species. And if they're reselling them, what is the likelihood that they quarantine properly, or that they provide top notch care for all those species?

OP, sorry you lost the snake.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #52
Mike Schultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakinjak View Post
A piece of advice for those new to shows- if a vendor has 50 different species on their table, look as you're walking by, but don't buy from them. Think about it... nobody is going to breed that many species. And if they're reselling them, what is the likelihood that they quarantine properly, or that they provide top notch care for all those species?
Good luck finding an emperor scorpion breeder

Good luck finding a golden gecko breeder

Good luck finding a mangrove snake breeder

the list goes on. instead of judging somebody by the fact that they have lots of cool animals for sale, try talking to them and seeing what kind of vendor they are. some wholesalers are good, some are bad... it's the same with breeders.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #53
Nivea987
Mr. Schultz no argument intended, but I know a breeder for each ssp you listed. You are correct about a lil face to face though. I find it easier to just deal with friends or even just a reputable dealer. If its a high end ssp or of greater importance just ask and check reputable references or as pakin said just pass by. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:20 PM   #54
Nivea987
One problem is not every breeder advertises their goods. They may only frequent shows or deal to select individuals. In some cases the offspring are gone before hatched or dropped.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #55
alex bleas
The kick brothers more then likely had that snake for less then a week. They buy hundreds of snakes a week at shows. People are dumping snakes buy the hundreds now for nothing. People are finding out it's a hobby not a way to make money and they pulling the plug. The kicks can't look at them all. It's your job to look at the snake before buying.

Alex

Old 11-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #56
Otter_23
So the Kicks don't have to look at what they are buying but everyone else does? If they are buying to many animals that they don't know what the condition and health of the animals are they shouldn't be flipping them. For me I would just avoid them

Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #57
gsrept
Its easy to turn a blind eye, not good buisness practice.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #58
pakinjak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schultz View Post
Good luck finding an emperor scorpion breeder

Good luck finding a golden gecko breeder

Good luck finding a mangrove snake breeder

the list goes on. instead of judging somebody by the fact that they have lots of cool animals for sale, try talking to them and seeing what kind of vendor they are. some wholesalers are good, some are bad... it's the same with breeders.
I understand your point. However, if I was in the market for an animal like that I'd go with a shipped animal from one of the suppliers that have a good reputation in the online community. I don't think you're going to figure out if the Kicks are good or bad sellers based off of a short conversation at a show... that's the issue for me.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #59
bullies&balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex bleas View Post
The kick brothers more then likely had that snake for less then a week. They buy hundreds of snakes a week at shows. People are dumping snakes buy the hundreds now for nothing. People are finding out it's a hobby not a way to make money and they pulling the plug. The kicks can't look at them all. It's your job to look at the snake before buying.

Alex
WOW !!! is all I can think to say to this. That's ahy many BREEDERS aviod their tables like the plague. BUt, this is NOT good business or good practice. Regardless of how many they get dumped into their laps, if htey sell them, then they are accountable for them. If you read the entire thread, then you see beyond the eyecaps and other deplorable conditions of the snake, that the OP asked certain questions about said animal and received answers that were NOT true and or accurate. BAD BUSINESS, BAD ETHICS, BAD HUSBANDRY, BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE etc...

Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #60
SuperMorph
Alessia, I hope you find some luck in your pursuit of justice for your experience. Since this seems to be more of a normal way to do business for them you will probably hit some road blocks in your small claims suit. Sometimes justice is more than just about getting some money back; it is more about the principle of the thing. It is very unfortunate that the snake had to be put in a better place and you can't even get a quick refund for at least the animal. Do not procrastinate too much on filing the small claims suit if that is indeed the route you are going to take. I have been in pursuit of justice against someone through small claims court because of a snake scam. I have learned many more things about the legal system in this regard and may be able to offer some pointers if you run into any major snags. Thank you for posting of your experience and I hope this does not become a common occurance for you in the reptile world. Jason

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!