Bad Guy Reptile Addicts / Fred Kick - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #81
hypnoctopus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the OP's loss and all they went through. Next time, I recommend buying a 100% solid animal from a reputable breeder (or a reputable dealer if you're buying something not bred in captivity). If you can see eye caps, then that's usually a sign you're dealing with someone who doesn't have a keen eye for health problems...meaning there are probably more problems you don't see.

I want to point out that I'd never buy anything from the Kick brothers as I've heard more than enough horror stories, but I would like to make a few points.

1. Most breeders do not have any sort of return/refund policy, contrary to what the OP stated in one of his/her posts. Almost every breeder I know of will issue credit, but does not offer cash refunds. The Kicks are not alone with this policy and this is not what makes them bad guys.

2. I'm not sure, but it looks to me like the seller is expecting to be reimbursed for vet expenses, which is not reasonable. Fred Kick offered the OP a full cash refund for the purchase price, which is as much responsibility as any seller has.

I'm not saying it's right to sell sick animals - I'm just saying that what you do with a reptile after you buy it is your decision, and the seller is no longer responsible. If you weren't happy with the animal, then return it and let the seller worry about the health issues. Chances are they would have either euthanized the animal or fixed whatever was wrong, without having to spend $500+ in vet bills.

3. I've seen more traditional dog/cat veterinarians do more harm to the animal, than I have actually seen fix animals. Most vets are trained for dogs, cats and the usual types of pets...they generally don't know much of anything about reptiles and in my personal experience, most veterinarians have no business treating reptiles. I've seen body parts (limbs, hemipenes) removed unnecessarily, and I've seen vets give antibiotics and appetite stimulants that ended up killing the animal in question. Bottom line, if you take a reptile to the vet, be sure it's a vet who specializes in reptiles. Otherwise, you'd be better off getting advice from someone knowledgeable who works with or breeds that species.

In my opinion, whether intentional or not, the vet screwed you out of a lot more money than the Kicks did. A good reptile breeder could have taken one look at that snake and known how to remedy the situation, or if it was too far gone to save.

And again, I'm not making any excuses for the Kicks. They have no business being in this industry. Guys like that just make my job harder by having to deal with the paranoid customers that they create.
I didn't get the feeling that the OP was asking for Fred Kick to refund the vet costs - just the snake's original purchase price. From the first post:

"...it would be really kind if you could refund me the $100 I paid for her, since she was not in good conditions when I got her."

"...just refund me the minimal $100 I feel I deserve for all this inconvenience."

Also, from what was posted, the seller never offered an actual refund, just 'store credit'.

"...if you bring her back we offer some type of credit, but we have to look at her first."

"I have offered you credit multiple times for her if you bring her back."

Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #82
bullies&balls
Makes NO sense to take a store credit when they sold you a POS sick, dying, poorly cared for animal. Who in their RIGHT mind would want another animal from a place like that ?

Old 01-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #83
Wild West Reptile
What I don't understand is why doesn't Fred respond to this thread? He just keeps posting animals for sale all over the internet and totally disregards this. Crazy if you ask me. I've heard nothing but bad stuff about this guy's animals from other breeders and it seems that he could care less. You'd have to be an idiot to buy from this guy at this point.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #84
ed hummel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Douglass View Post
I was wondering why the op lied to him about that too. I think the seller is at fault 100% but I found that odd. Just asking a question doesn't mean you're attacking anyone. I hope the op gets a refund but I wouldn't count on it.
i may be wrong here but im thinking she wasnt lying when she said this, she just didnt make it perfecltly clear. i think she meant this was(would be) the only one she had that would require LIVE as all her others eat F/T...

Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #85
ed hummel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed hummel View Post
i may be wrong here but im thinking she wasnt lying when she said this, she just didnt make it perfecltly clear. i think she meant this was(would be) the only one she had that would require LIVE as all her others eat F/T...
and of course if i had read this a little further i would have seen she answered this...

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #86
bullies&balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild West Geckos View Post
What I don't understand is why doesn't Fred respond to this thread? He just keeps posting animals for sale all over the internet and totally disregards this. Crazy if you ask me. I've heard nothing but bad stuff about this guy's animals from other breeders and it seems that he could care less. You'd have to be an idiot to buy from this guy at this point.
because there are threads and even news articles about these guys from years ago. People still go to there tables at the show and buy there junk. people will see something on KS and buy it. As long as he is getting business, why bother?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #87
outlawtrucker
The Kick bros again ? I thought everyone in the world knew by now.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #88
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawtrucker View Post
The Kick bros again ? I thought everyone in the world knew by now.
I didn't... but I do now! I don't think I have every seen them at any show I have attended/worked, but I will keep their names in my file.

OP, I do hope that you get some type of justice...

Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #89
outlawtrucker
They usually attend the N.E. shows.Their out of L.I. N.Y.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #90
pakinjak
I see them at every show I go to- Manchester NH and White Plains NY. I like seeing the diversity on their table, but I be sure not to touch anything.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!