Question regarding cost - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
sleekstar
Question regarding cost

So today I was researching about shipping reptiles, as I have a few beardies that I'd like to try and move. I noticed that www.ShipYourReptiles.com seemed to be the best option for shipping reptiles, but when I did a sort of 'mock up' shipping quote, it came out to around $80 for shipping.
I tried a second time with a quote for a smaller box, but it still came up to $65 for a 5x5x5 box that weighs 2lbs (estimated, eh idk how much it would come up, this was my rough estimate).
My question is though, whenever I've bought dragons and bp's before the seller usually says it's $50 for shipping. Is there something I'm missing regarding to the cost on SYR or do sellers just pay the extra $15 or so out of pocket and just say it's $50 shipping?

Also, for those who use SYR, do you purchase the shipping kits first, get those shipped to you, then book your shipment?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
snowgyre
Let's back up a bit...

Before you can use either ShipYourReptiles, ReptilesExpress, or Reptiles2U you must become a member. This entails sending them an empty example package so that they know you are capable of following standard shipping instructions and labeling laws.

You must purchase the kits and have an entire kit at your residence before you can book your shipment. Otherwise you could miss your shipping date because the kits take time to arrive.

You should use a larger box than you think. A 5x5x5 box is far too small. It's not about simply fitting an animal in the box... you must also account for packaging within the box and air space. Dead air is the primary insulator in the box. A small box has too small a thermal mass to provide any sort of stable temperature inside the box. Additionally, heat packs should not be used with boxes that are smaller than 12x9x6 due to the amount of oxygen they consume.

As far as prices go, the price varies more by zip code than by size and weight of box. I can ship anywhere in Georgia (I live down here in Tifton) overnight for $40. Shipping to California, on the other hand, would cost $80+.

You also want to select the early delivery (delivery by 10:30AM) if possible at the recipient's zip code. It costs more but is safer on the animal. It's better to pay more than have an animal arrive dead. This goes for the shipping materials as well as for the delivery fees.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
A lot of sellers will simply eat the extra cost of shipping (and/or add it into the listed price of the animal) in order to offer the 'attractive' $50 shipping rate. Some sellers do a lot of business and get discounts on their rates so $50 (more or less) is what the actual charges are.
I know shipping from CA to most places usually costs me well over $50, closer to $80 a lot of the time.
Years ago, shipping averaged $40-50 so it has gone up over the years.
I buy my shipping boxes/foam from another vendor but I purchase in bulk and keep on hand. If you only have one or two shipments to make, go ahead and purchase one of their kits.
If you haven't shipped before, there are some good tutorial videos out there.
Good luck!

Old 02-13-2017, 03:22 PM   #4
MomofDnNnD
Just an FYI - I shipped using SYR and never had to send them anything to prove that I could follow instructions. I did become a member and agree to follow the rules, but used my own box, insulation and heat pack.
If you are a first time shipper, there are codes to get you a reduced rate, but that can only be used once and only for your first shipment.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:19 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
I think the only time you have to send in a box for pre-approval is when you want to become certified directly through FedEx.
I have not had to do that with either Ship Your Reptiles or Reptiles Express.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
snowgyre
When SYR first came out I had to send them a box before I got approved. It was when UPS first barred the shipment of snakes and there were lots of questions regarding the proper certifications through FedEx. I'm not individually certified through FedEx. Perhaps they streamlined the process now that the procedure has been figured out.

Old 02-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
robyn@Pro Exotics
If you become individually certified with FedEx, you do need to submit packaging through the FedEx packaging lab for certification and approval.

If you are shipping with ShipYourReptiles you DON'T need to go through that step, as you are shipping under our SYR certification. But you DO need to still meet the FedEx packaging standard, which includes at least 3/4" insulation for your live packages (a number of packaging suppliers sell 1/2" packaging, which drives me nuts because it only saves a few cents, but does not meet the required packaging standards for thermal protection nor structural protection).

If you only have one or two shipments, you can use one of our shipping kits, which contain everything you need to make a shipment, no matter the season (but still weather permitting, according to our temperature guidelines).

If you buy your supplies in bulk, it is less expensive.

Some folks buy boxes from Uline, and thicker insulation foam from Home Depot. And then cut and assemble the boxes themselves. That's more work. As a reptile breeder for 20 years, we would always make our own boxes that way. I really like the 1.5" insulation for thermal and structural protection. You can use your own packaging, it just has to meet the SYR Shipping Standards, which in turn meet the FedEx TOS. It's all industry standard stuff, nothing weird, odd or difficult. You can find all of the requirements, details and SYR Shipping Standards on our page.

As for rate, use coupon code APS40 and get 40% off your first shipment.

When you use that code our Director of Accounts Judy will contact you and follow up to get you set at a great permanent rate according to your volume and need. You can also reach her direct at Judy@ShipYourReptiles.com

As for rates you see in the hobby/industry, as mentioned, some breeders/dealers ship hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in shipping, and they get really aggressive rates to achieve $50 per package, or $35 a package.

Most often though, as mentioned, a flat rate of $35, $50, or even $25 is a bit of a marketing tool, and a loss leader. It's an average shipping cost, or absorbable shipping cost, that appeals to buyers and sellers because it is "set" and means there is no extra quote/calculation time. It also appeals to the buyer's eye.

As a breeder, our average animal sale price was $200. I had flat rate shipping of $35 (in the 1990's) and eventually it climbed to $55. Sometimes it was right on. Sometimes shipping was more expensive, maybe even by $20 (shipping across the country, for example). Once in a great while, it was less (shipping within state, or one state over).

So we were subsidizing shipping cost, in order to best appeal to our customers and for marketing. It brought customers our way. Lots of folks still do that. I think LLL and/or ReptMart offer $25 flat shipping these days...

But ReptMart probably does a million dollars plus a year with FedEx/UPS, so they get a terrific discount to start with.

Keep in mind the LLL Reptiles of the world, with cheap shipping rates, have been banging away at it for 20+ years. They have long established and mature relationships with FedEx and UPS. It is indeed tough to start breeding geckos or snakes and compete with them on shipping rate, as well as the cost of breeding the animals themselves.

It is also going to be very difficult to subsidize your own shipping rates if your average sale is $25, or $50. You simply can't absorb a $20 subsidize hit to make shipping more appealing. It's a catch 22 for new breeders.

But you can contact Judy@SYR and discuss rates with her, she will do her best to help!

And one more "trick", use the smallest box you can safely use.

Dimensional Weight- Your shipping cost will be based on either actual weight or dimensional weight, whichever is higher. Actual weight is the weight on the scale. Most reptile packages are less than 2 pounds.

But the popular 12x9x6 box has a dimensional weight of 5 pounds. So even though it only weighs 2 pounds, you will be paying for a 5 pound box, which is a lot more expensive.

The popular 7x7x6 box, which is also usually under 2 pounds, has a dim weight of 4 pounds. So you will be paying for a 4 pound box.

Dim weight ratings let FedEx/UPS compensate for the SIZE of the box in their rate calculations. There is no way around it, it is an industry standard rating, and is the same with UPS and FedEx. Read more about dimensional weight, and how to calculate it yourself (it's very easy) at our SYR Get Help section.

We have a terrific customer service team at SYR. We are always happy to answer questions or share tips and strategies on making shipping work for your situation. I hope this info is valuable for you, best of luck to you!

Old 03-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
elthznd901
Robyn thanks for all of that info. It was super helpful!

Old 04-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #9
sleekstar
Thank you all so much for the extensive info!! It was very helpful and I really appreciate everyone's knowledge on the subject. This made it much clearer for me. Thank you all again!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!