Update on Jasper - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-07-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
Xelda
Update on Jasper

Several days ago my blizzard died. I know a lot of you were expecting it, but I always believed Jasper had a good chance of making it. I fed her three 1/4" crickets (which I had been feeding her daily before with no problems), and apparently they got stuck in her throat. I'm not sure if she was unable to swallow them or if she had been trying to regurgitate. Regardless, I was too slow to realize the problem, and she probably spent a good deal of her energy dealing with breathing difficulty for at least a day. (I had an unusually long day at school. Talk about bad luck.) I took her to the vet who was able to remove the obstruction with a q-tip. Unfortunately, the whole stress of the trip--having to stay alert during the car ride, being handled by a stranger, having something go in her throat, bright lights being shined in her mouth and eyes--cost her the last of her energy. She was very exhausted and disoriented by the time we came back from the vet. When I checked on her later in the afternoon, she was already dead.

No, I'm not getting a necropsy done. I don't see what good it would do at this point, and I'm also pretty sure she didn't have crypto for the simple fact that she did respond to the care I was giving her. She did have an appetite, and she did manage to gain a little weight in the time that I had her. She was always perky and had the drive to live. The day she died was the first time I ever saw her lay down in defeat.

I don't think I've ever concentrated so much effort towards a single gecko, so this has been extremely heart-breaking. I've been crying a lot, and unfortunately, very few of my friends understand why. I feel like I really lost something special. It's rare to have a baby leo that sweet, let alone a baby blizzard. I see how healthy and secure my other geckos are, and I just wanted her to be able to know that kind of life.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Jeremy Letkey
Olivia, I am sorry for your loss. It is a shame that she did not make it. I know that you make every possible effort to give your animals the very best care. We are always here for you. Again I am sorry.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
KelliH
I'm very sorry she didn't make it Olivia. I respect you for trying to help her, and I can relate to what you are going through. Best of luck-

Old 09-07-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
Oh no....

I am so sorry to hear this, Olivia. I know how that special bond develops when you are caring for a sick gecko, and how tragic it is when they give up. I know how much love and effort you put in to helping Jasper, and all of your other little ones. My heart goes out to you...

Old 09-07-2004, 06:32 PM   #5
LadyGecko
Olivia- I am so sorry for your loss. I have also had the experience of losing a baby blizzard and it is heartbreaking..........Blizzards being my favorite morph.
My thought are with you........Sandy

Old 09-07-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
geckosurfer
I am so sorry. It is never easy and I wish we could escape having this happen to us.

--Julie

Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #7
ragnew
Sorry to hear about your little one Olivia. It's always hard when we loose one of our animals... They become a member of the family and it hurts when they pass away.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
gothra
I am very sorry for your loss Olivia, I understand the feeling when your loved one is gone; my blizzard also died few months ago, I had been crying for the whole week, maybe think this way, Jasper will gain a little pair of wings, she is free and will be flying around to places that she wanted to go, she'll come and visit you too, and I think she doesn't want to see you cry.

(This is what my husband told me when our blizzard died.)

Old 09-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #9
USAGECKOS
I am sooo sorry for your loss Olivia, I understand what you are going through, I lost a gecko about 1 1/2 years ago and she was very special to me (Don't tell anyone but I cried in the Vets office when I realized she wasn't going to make it..Shhh).

I am glad she had an owner like you that gave her every chance possible to live and took as good care of her as you did.

Old 09-08-2004, 08:23 PM   #10
Xelda
Thanks for all the support, everyone. I'm glad there are people here who can empathize.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!