Beware!! Lea Kohout, Just Another Scammer. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
jnjreptile
Stop! Beware!! Lea Kohout, Just Another Scammer.

I have recently did a trade with a women named Virginia Lea Kohout. She calls herself Lea. vlk_75@msn.com She lives in Bowie, MD. I shipped a boa to her the same day she was to send 2 ball pythons. We have sold her a boa before so we thought it was okay for both of us to ship the same day instead of her shipping first. I guess I was wrong. Well at the last minute she had her sister send the balls, through the Post office. It took 2 days to get here. They were crammed, I mean crammed into a tiny 8inch x 5inch x 2 inch container. Mind you one ball was an sub-adult about 700 grams and the other a large 05. Then they were placed into a boot box wrapped in a Brown paper bag with no air holes no insulation. Needless to say the both showed up D.O.A. We spoke with her on the phone and she said she was sorry and didn't realize her sister was this stupid and she would send the payment for the boa and the shipping cost right away. Well it has now been just about a week and she refuses to answer the phone, return messages and e-mails. I will be filing a case againest her with the courts. But just wanted everyone to know so you don't get screwed either. If anyone has any questions or advise please feel free to e-mail or call. I do have proof of everything. Thanks for looking. J&J Reptiles. jnjreptile@yahoo.com or (207)664-0425.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
Are you gonna give it more time before pressing charges? They have been asking for extra time in shipping USPS cuz of the storms. She may have sent it, and it's in the system.
That doesn't explain her not answering the phone though.

Ciao,
Rick

Old 10-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
pch101
Let her know about this thread (send her a link). You would be surprised at how cooperative people become when they see their name up in lights along with their misdeeds for everyone else to see. Post e-mails and any other proof here as well. Good luck, and thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Gecko_Den
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Are you gonna give it more time before pressing charges? They have been asking for extra time in shipping USPS cuz of the storms. She may have sent it, and it's in the system.
That doesn't explain her not answering the phone though.

Ciao,
Rick
Rick, he said the snakes arrived, but they were dead.

J&J, you may want to also let her know that USPS doesn't allow snakes to be shipped through them, and since she obviously didn't label the package correctly she is in violation of the Lacey Act. Criminal charges are always a much bettertool for getting someones attention than the threat of civil litigation.

I would notify her of your intent and give her a week or two to respond before I started pressing charges though, but that's just me...

Old 10-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
jnjreptile
I have told her about us posting warnings on reptile classifieds. I have also told her about filing a suit againest her and that shipping snakes through USPS was a federal offense and that if I didn't receive payment that she would be prosecuted. I have called her on her cell and at her home and now the phone is just being hung up on us. I will send this post to her so she knows that this is a serious issue.

I also want to thank everyone for the help. J&J Reptiles.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
cthulhu77
All good advice. I would wait a while, after informing her of this thread. If she has been good to deal with in the past, she will probably come through this time also.
Boy, she must be pissed at her sister !

greg

Old 10-09-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
Junkyard
It is amazing how people think snakes are invincible. I too would like to here her story as why she will not send payment, also why her sister(if it is not her) would ship snakes that way.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
Wilomn
You might also post her contact info. I know there are a few here that call folks and ask why these things happen and that is also helpful.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu77
Boy, she must be pissed at her sister !
If you believe the "my sister shipped them" story. That's almost as old as "my dog ate my homework".

Old 10-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
jnjreptile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
If you believe the "my sister shipped them" story. That's almost as old as "my dog ate my homework".
That is true. I am just quoting what she told us.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!