Eating messy? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Leighanne
Eating messy?

My question is is it ok for your Corn to eat a Mouse with its guts spilling out? I worked fast to feed last night with all the animal chores to do and I accidentally popped the Mouses stomach open and didn't notice it until he had hold. Hopefully this has had to happen to somebody. I went to dry it off with the paper towel. Oh, I feed F/T. I put to much pressure on drying it off I guess and didn't see it until he had it. I was moving quickly,as said. The blood was everywhere. I washed out his feeding bin and even though he had just ate I gave him a real quick bath. I figured it wouldn't be very sanitary at all to put him back in his home with blood on him. YUCK! He hasn't regurged or anything but what do you guys do when this happens? You have to figure they could pop a Mouse open themselves to with all that constricting. Lickitys left me small blood messes. Jakers ate the guts hanging out though. Ewww. I let him go at it it at this point though because I wasn't going to pull it out of his mouth. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank You.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Otter_23
It's fine to let them eat it, just clean up when they are done. I don't know how hot you are heating the mice up but if the water is to warm it can make them sorta melt/fall apart etc... If that is the case with mine I found that I don't have to warm corn's mice up to warm. I have gotten mice that were cut in half from a company and were bloody with guts hanging out when defrosted, I just set it in the corns cage because they will eat them without having to constrict unlike my ball pythons that want to constrict everything (which would have left a big mess with that mouse).

Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Heykid
I know when bigger snakes are constricting their prey, like retics and burms, sometimes the pigs'/rabbits' stomach with explode or pop. So whether they're on the inside or the outside, animal guts are ok for you snakey to eat It's just not very pleasant to watch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!