UTH/Sterilites - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
SamanthaJane13
UTH/Sterilites

Is it safe to use a UTH with a Sterilite bin??

What size would be safe for the shoebox size used for babies??

If you don't use a UTH, what do you use to keep your geckos warm?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
jfreels
I use the 4x6 or it may be 4x8. It's the smallest Zoo-Med you can get. $9.99 on Amazon. I also made a little rack using heat cable. I'd say if you have to house 4+, then go out and get a cheap small book case and attach the heat cable with foil tape to it and just slide the tubs over the heat cable. It's been working good for me.

I made this cheap setup for $16 (cost for the heat cable). I had everything else just lying around. Previously, I was using the smallest zoo-med UTHs though. It was a hassle to have a t-stat/rheostat for each one.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
I use the 4x6 or it may be 4x8. It's the smallest Zoo-Med you can get. $9.99 on Amazon. I also made a little rack using heat cable. I'd say if you have to house 4+, then go out and get a cheap small book case and attach the heat cable with foil tape to it and just slide the tubs over the heat cable. It's been working good for me.

I made this cheap setup for $16 (cost for the heat cable). I had everything else just lying around. Previously, I was using the smallest zoo-med UTHs though. It was a hassle to have a t-stat/rheostat for each one.
Thank you very much for your ideas!!

Can you tell I'm a noob to those guys?? We got our first trio on Sunday!!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
jfreels
We were all noobs at one time

Here's a pic of my stellar creation lol

I don't have the pics of the heat cable, but I just created channels on the back of the book case and covered it with foil tape. The 25' heat cable I had did the two bottom levels. I wanted to do the top area as well, but didn't measure properly. Oh well.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
We were all noobs at one time

Here's a pic of my stellar creation lol

I don't have the pics of the heat cable, but I just created channels on the back of the book case and covered it with foil tape. The 25' heat cable I had did the two bottom levels. I wanted to do the top area as well, but didn't measure properly. Oh well.
Yeah-that's what I tell all the crestie noobs-LOL!!

I have an old TV cart, the heat tape, and a Zoo-Med rheostat, so I have my project all set for tonight.

I'm also frankensteining a sterilite bin for a roach colony, so I'm cutting a window in one of the short panels of the bin and adding screening bound by duct tape. Then the bin will sit on the top of the TV cart where the TV would normally sit.

Thanks for your help!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!